Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Venezuela has freed some American citizens from prison, US official says

Admin by Admin
January 14, 2026
in Global
Venezuela promised to released political prisoners as a "goodwill gesture"

Venezuela promised to released political prisoners as a "goodwill gesture"

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Venezuela has started releasing multiple Americans detained across the country, according to a US State Department official.

The official did not confirm the identities or number of prisoners released by Venezuela, but in a statement called the move “an important step in the right direction by the interim authorities”.

READ ALSO

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

It is the first known release of American citizens since a US military operation seized President Nicolás Maduro and his wife during a raid in the capital Caracas on 3 January, to face drug trafficking charges in New York.

The UN says Venezuela has so far only released about 50 people out of what campaigners say is a tally of more than 800 political prisoners in the country.

The Venezuelan government, led by Interim President Delcy Rodríguez, announced last week it would start releasing “a significant” number of people considered political prisoners as a “goodwill gesture”.

Some domestic opposition figures and at least five Spanish citizens are among those confirmed to have been freed so far.

But days later, human rights groups have criticised the slow pace of releases. Earlier this week, the son of a jailed opposition figure warned US President Donald Trump to “not be fooled” by Venezuela’s promises.

On Monday, the government said more than 100 such prisoners had already been released – a figure that exceeds the number confirmed by rights groups or the UN, but which still represents only a fraction of the total number believed to be held.

The same day, the UN reiterated its longstanding concerns over the country’s use of “widespread and systematic use of arbitrary detention as a tool of repression”.

Relatives of those still behind bars continue to express frustration and anxiety, and many of them have kept vigil outside the notorious El Helicoide prison in the capital Caracas.

Jailed Venezuelan politician’s son says Trump shouldn’t be ‘fooled’ by pledge of prisoner releases

Tuesday’s move to release detainees with foreign citizenship appears to signal an effort by Rodríguez to win the favour of the international community, and especially the US, despite the structures that existed during the rule of Maduro remaining in place after he was seized.

The release of the US citizens comes ahead of a visit to the White House on Thursday by María Corina Machado, the opposition leader and Nobel Peace Prize winner who has made her own efforts to win over Trump.

At least three Americans had been freed as of Tuesday night, a source told the New York Times.

US Senator Rick Scott, a Republican who represents Florida, thanked Trump for pushing for the release of the prisoners, saying they had been “held captive by Maduro’s evil regime in Venezuela for too long”.

Scott added in a social media post: “Every single prisoner still held under Delcy Rodríguez should be released ASAP.”

Over the weekend, Donald Trump wrote on his Truth Social account that the process of freeing detainees in Venezuela had begun “in a BIG WAY”.

Trump said he cancelled a second wave of airstrikes on Venezuela once he learned Caracas was cooperating with the release of prisoners.

The developments are being viewed as the first test of Trump’s influence in Venezuela following the removal of Maduro.

Human rights groups and political activists have long accused the government of using detentions to muzzle its critics. Officials repeatedly denied Venezuela held any political prisoners, insisting they were arrested for criminal activity.

Many were detained after the 2024 presidential election, where Maduro claimed victory despite opponents disputing the results.

That vote lacked “basic transparency and integrity”, according to the UN, and was denounced as rigged by the US which did not recognise Maduro as Venezuela’s legitimate leader.

Previous releases of Americans held in Venezuela have been negotiated through swap deals. Relatives of US citizens detained in the country have said that their loved ones have sometimes been detained while on personal travel.

Americans are currently warned by their government against travelling to the South American country due to the risk of wrongful detention.

Among those said to still be imprisoned in Venezuela is 28-year-old James Luckey-Lange, whose aunt recently told the Washington Post that he “has no political ties to Venezuela at all” and was “just a kid that likes to travel”.

BBC News

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Global

HISTORY | Of Slavery and Indentureship. The Arithmetic Britain Never Settled

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Britain paid £20 million to slave owners in 1834 and not one farthing to the people they had owned. The...

Read moreDetails
Nareeta-Nandkumar (Guyana Chronicle photo)
Global

Guyanese Student Nareeta Nandkumar Joins Historic All-Female Space Mission

by Admin
August 19, 2026

A young Guyanese woman is preparing to take part in an international space initiative bringing together girls from more than...

Read moreDetails
Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

China announces record $1tn trade surplus despite Trump tariffs


EDITOR'S PICK

Covid-19 death toll now at 25

August 18, 2020

WORD OF THE DAY: OSSIFY

August 28, 2024

Leading energy and water security events to drive South Africa’s industrial resilience

September 15, 2025

BREAKING: Fact-finding U.S team to visit Guyana in response to claims about PPP Govt discrimination

October 26, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice