Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

UN says over 1,000 civilians killed in Sudan’s Darfur as US, others urge ceasefire

Admin by Admin
December 19, 2025
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

After UAE cuts trade ties, Iran warns Gulf countries against aiding US

GENEVA,  (Reuters) – Over 1,000 civilians were killed when a Sudanese paramilitary group took over a famine-stricken displacement camp in Sudan’s Darfur in April, including about a third who were summarily executed, according to a report by the U.N. Human Rights Office on Thursday.
For months before the April 11-13 assault, the Rapid Support Forces blocked entry of food and supplies to the Zamzam camp in Sudan’s western region of Darfur housing nearly half a million people displaced by civil war, according to the U.N. report.
During the takeover, the RSF directed attacks against civilians, the U.N. report said, and survivors reported widespread killings, rape, torture and abductions, with at least 319 people executed in the camp or as they tried to flee.
“Such deliberate killing of civilians or persons hors de combat may constitute the war crime of murder,” said the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk in a statement accompanying the 18-page report.
The findings are based on interviews conducted in July 2025 with 155 survivors and witnesses who fled to Chad.
One of them testified that eight people hiding in a room in the camp were killed by RSF fighters who inserted rifles through a window and shot at the group, the report said.
The RSF did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The group has previously denied harming civilians and said that it will hold its forces to account for any violations.
The April attack was a precursor to the attack on al-Fashir city to the north in late October, where the RSF is accused of summarily executing and kidnapping thousands of people. Most of those thought to have lived in the city are unaccounted for.
On Tuesday, the U.N. human rights office separately said drones had killed over 100 civilians in Sudan’s Kordofan this month.

Reporting by Emma Farge and Nafisa Eltahir in Cairo; additional reporting by Susan Heavey in Washington; Editing by Madeline Chambers and Caitlin Webber

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Members of the 16th Chinese Medical Team to Nepal work at B.P. Koirala Memorial Cancer Hospital in Bharatpur, central-southern Nepal. /CFP
Global

Behind the white coat: How Chinese doctors are advancing patient care and global health

by Admin
August 19, 2026

For 86-year-old Dai Guogui, managing diabetes alongside heart disease as well as a history of suffering strokes was once an...

Read moreDetails
Iran has questioned Gulf countries' assistance in the US attacks on its territory. /CCTV
Global

After UAE cuts trade ties, Iran warns Gulf countries against aiding US

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Iran's armed forces warned Gulf countries against assisting the US military on Wednesday, hours after the United Arab Emirates announced...

Read moreDetails
A health worker sprays disinfectant in a freshly dug grave for the body of Jacques Lobo Dhena, who died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, eastern Congo, Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2026. (AP Photo/Dieudonne Dirole)
Global

Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead

by Admin
August 17, 2026

BUNIA, Congo (AP) — Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak has now killed over 2,300 people and become the deadliest outbreak of the disease...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Pakistan to face West Indies in two-Test WTC Series next July


EDITOR'S PICK

EXCEPTIONAL PERFORMANCES FROM SINCLAIR AND ATHANAZE ASSIST IN WEST INDIES SWEEP

June 10, 2023
Dikimbie Gittens

GECOM Assistant Accountant Remanded on Larceny Charge Involving Over $5M

September 25, 2025
A staff member demonstrates the plastic recycling process at the Boao zero-carbon demonstration zone during the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) Annual Conference 2025 in Boao, south China's Hainan Province, March 25, 2025. (Xinhua/Xie Ziyi)

Trash, treasure and thrifting: China’s youth turns eco-anxiety into trendy action

May 5, 2025

Guyana , NATIONAL UNITY/ SHARED GOVERNANCE, Part 1 of 2 

July 15, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice