Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Min Edghill urges drivers to be patient when crossing the new bridge

Admin by Admin
October 7, 2025
in News
Minister of Public Works, Juan Edghill

Minister of Public Works, Juan Edghill

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

DPI – The Ministry of Public Works is reassuring Guyanese motorists that smooth, uninterrupted traffic flow remains its top priority, with Guyana’s newest landmark, the new Bharrat Jagdeo River Bridge, now open.

During an engagement with media on Monday, Minister of Public Works Juan Edghill, along with Traffic Chief Assistant Commissioner Mahendra Singh, acknowledged that there was significant congestion on Monday on the western side of the bridge but promised the issue would be resolved in the coming days.

READ ALSO

Court Halts Maha Sabha Ashram Works as Management Dispute Deepens

Mohameds Demand Anderson Recuse Himself, Urgent Disclosure of Records

Minister Edghill said the Chinese contractor will be working day and night to complete the ramp onto the Western end of the bridge.

In the meantime, he calls on drivers to follow instructions and cooperate with law enforcement officers.

Minister Edghill reminded the public that the structure was engineered to support continuous vehicular movement from east to west and vice versa.

“The bridge will not be closed for two-lane traffic as was previously done with the old bridge. The bridge will see a continual flow of uninterrupted traffic. There will be no stoppage of traffic in the morning or in the afternoon,” the minister affirmed.

The Minister said the focus now is on public awareness and driver discipline, as road users adjust to the new traffic arrangements.

Edghill explained that the previous morning and afternoon hassle to get to the old bridge is now history, while making a clarion call for motorists to employ the five “C” when using the roundabouts: Care, Caution, Courtesy, Common-sense and Consideration.

Traffic Chief Assistant Commissioner Mahendra Singh echoed the call for caution and cooperation, noting that signage, lane markings, and officers will be strategically placed to help drivers safely through the roundabout and onto the bridge.

Meanwhile, it should be known that the new bridge can be accessed from the East Bank Public Road from Greenfield, the Heroes Highway, Eccles Dumpsite Road and Ogle Bypass Road.

Officials believe the new system will not only ease congestion along the Demerara crossing but also mark a major leap in national infrastructure efficiency.

The New Bharrat Jagdeo Demerara River Bridge was commissioned on Sunday, October 5, 2025, by His Excellency, President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali.

Assistant Police Commissioner, Khali Pareshram, Commander Region Three, Traffic Officer of Regions Three, Four (A) and Four (B) were also in attendance at the media briefing.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Maha Sabha
News

Court Halts Maha Sabha Ashram Works as Management Dispute Deepens

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The legal battle over control of the Guyana Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha has intensified, with the High Court imposing significant...

Read moreDetails
News

Mohameds Demand Anderson Recuse Himself, Urgent Disclosure of Records

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Attorneys for Nazar and Azruddin Mohamed have escalated their challenge to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), demanding urgent disclosure...

Read moreDetails
News

President Ali Attacks, Opposition Leader Mohamed Demands Evidence

by Admin
August 19, 2026

President Irfaan Ali and Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed have become locked in a fierce public confrontation over corruption, credibility and...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Photo: CFP

UN Human Rights Council adopts China-tabled draft resolution on promoting economic, social and cultural rights


EDITOR'S PICK

West Indies Under-19s beat New Zealand by six wickets in opening warm-up game ahead of U-19 World Cup

January 15, 2024
Felicia Persaud

Five immigration headlines you may have missed

October 12, 2022
APNU- led protest- Monday, December 8, 2025

APNU to Protest Weekly Until PPP Delivers Christmas Cash

December 9, 2025
A section of the village of Masakenari  ( Orson Smith photo)

Masakenari hard hit by COVID

May 10, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice