Saturday, August 22, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

US orders 500,000 citizens of four countries to leave

Admin by Admin
June 14, 2025
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(BBC News)- Hundreds of thousands of immigrants who were given special permission to come to the US will be told that they must leave the country immediately.

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said in a statement Thursday that Cubans, Haitians, Nicaraguans, and Venezuelans who were previously temporarily shielded from deportation will be emailed notices telling them to go.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The DHS said that more than half a million people from the four countries were allowed to remain in the US for two years under orders issued by former President Joe Biden.

The directive is expected to face legal challenges from opponents of the Trump administration’s mass deportation programme.

During his time in office Biden expanded the protection, which is called “humanitarian parole” and dates back to the Cold War, due to conditions in each of the four countries.

The DHS previously said that through the end of November 2024, a total of 531,670 people were granted permission to stay in the US under the programme, and that as a result, illegal crossings from citizens of the four countries had decreased by 98%.

It’s unclear exactly how many people will be affected by the new directive, however, as some of the immigrants from those countries may have acquired legal status to remain in the US under other visa programmes.

The Biden administration had said the immigrants, who each required a US-based sponsor, were screened and vetted. However, the Trump administration disagreed.

DHS spokesperson Tricia McLaughlin called the Biden-era programme “disastrous” and in a statement said it opened the door for fraudulent claims and crime and it undercut American workers.

The programme became an issue during last year’s presidential campaign, particularly when Trump and his allies focused attention on cities like Springfield, Ohio, which in recent years has seen a large influx of Haitian immigrants – many of whom were permitted to stay in the country under the programme.

Trump and others made inflammatory statements about Haitian immigrants eating pets, which were found to be lacking in evidence. However, Trump’s running mate, Vice-President JD Vance, defended what he described as “creating a story” to highlight high levels of immigration and what he called “the suffering of the American people.”

President Trump cancelled Biden’s order on parole with an executive order of his own shortly after he took office in January. In May the Supreme Court upheld his suspension of the humanitarian parole programme while a legal battle continues in lower courts.

The DHS has promised travel assistance and a $1,000 “exit bonus” to migrants without legal permission to be in the US who voluntarily leave the country.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
This combo from photos provided by Minnesota Legislature shows Rep. Melissa Hortman, left, and Sen. John Hoffman. Hortman, a former state House speaker, and her husband, Mark, were shot and killed at their home early Saturday, officials said. In a separate incident Hoffman and his wife were shot and wounded at their home.
Minnesota Legislature/AP

Minnesota state lawmaker killed, another wounded in targeted shootings


EDITOR'S PICK

Magistrate Cecil Sullivan’s death

August 31, 2021

CDC probing 109 liver illnesses in kids, including 5 deaths 

May 8, 2022

BOTSWANA with the 2nd. Largest DIAMOND in the WORLD; Guyana 2016-2020 was ADOPTED by AFRICA in Kuwait; the Importance of 10-15 Years PLANS & FEASABILITIES Studies; De Beers by Raphael Trotman PhD (ABD); Guyana & Botswana Similarities

August 31, 2024

Major flooding in Bartica

May 26, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice