Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Guyana issues 30-day notice to cancel Frontera, CGX Energy’s license

Admin by Admin
February 14, 2025
in News
Stabroek News Photo

Stabroek News Photo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

 (Reuters) – Guyana’s government has given a CGX Energy (OYL.V), opens new tab and Frontera Energy (FEC.TO), opens new tab joint venture a 30-day cancellation notice of its license to explore the offshore Corentyne block, where it has found oil, the Canada-based companies said on Tuesday.
The group last year requested its license for Corentyne to be extended so it could finish well-appraisal work while looking for partners willing to help finance the project’s development phase. But Guyana’s government said it saw no grounds for the extension.
In December, Frontera and CGX began seeking alternatives to resolve the dispute, opens new tab with Guyana over rights to retain the block. Should they fail to reach an agreement, the matter could go to an arbitration court, they said.
“The joint venture recently received a communication from the government of Guyana,” the companies said in a release.
“The government has taken the position that the license, together with the joint venture’s petroleum agreement with the government, has terminated and that, in the opinion of the government, there are no reasonable grounds to grant any extensions,” it added.
However, in the letter, Guyana gave the joint venture until February 22 to submit arguments that could lead to a reconsideration of the license cancellation, it said.
The license will cease to have effect on March 10, unless the representations are favorably considered by the government.
Guyana’s energy ministry did not immediately reply to a request for comment. The South American country’s Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo in December said the government was not worried about the possibility of taking the dispute to court.
Guyana’s oil industry is currently dominated by a consortium led by Exxon Mobil (XOM.N), opens new tab. The development of the Corentyne block had been seen as an attempt to diversify the country’s dependence on the U.S. major.
It is also the only area Frontera and CGX have left in Guyana after they returned two other blocks in recent years.
Frontera and CGX said the joint venture is “assessing all legal options available to it to assert its rights and will respond to the government.”
ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Office of the President
News

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

by Admin
August 22, 2026

Police have launched an investigation into a late-night gunfire incident near the Office of the President after a vehicle belonging...

Read moreDetails
Michael Richmond
News

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

by Admin
August 22, 2026

The A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) has raised concerns about the economic prospects of young Guyanese, questioning whether the...

Read moreDetails
President Irfaan Ali- May 22, 2026 press conference (screengrab)
News

President Ali Coming After Social Media Users as Govt Considers New Laws

by Admin
August 22, 2026

President Irfaan Ali has signalled that his administration is considering tougher legal measures against social media users, warning that Guyana...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
PNP President, Opposition Leader Mark Golding (left) and Opposition spokesman on matters related to Portmore, Fitz Jackson

JAMAICA | Golding, Jackson Vow Court Action over Portmore 15th Parish Row


EDITOR'S PICK

L-R: Minister of Education, Priya Manickchand; Opposition Member of Parliament (MP) Sherod Duncan; Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Charles Ramson; Opposition MP, Jermaine Figueira and Opposition MP and attorney, Roysdale Forde

Gov’t, Opposition clash on proposed marijuana Bills

January 28, 2021

We do the dirty work of foreigners by willingly prostrating ourselves for their dollar

January 6, 2023

Govt to train 8,000 Guyanese in essential digital skills

February 2, 2026

WORD OF DAY: FOIBLE

April 13, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice