Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

All-out rescue efforts underway following Xizang 6.8-magnitude quake

Xinhua

Admin by Admin
January 7, 2025
in Global
Damaged houses are pictured after an earthquake in Tonglai village, Changsuo township of Dingri in Shigatse, Southwest China's Xizang autonomous region, Jan 7, 2025. [Photo/Xinhua]

Damaged houses are pictured after an earthquake in Tonglai village, Changsuo township of Dingri in Shigatse, Southwest China's Xizang autonomous region, Jan 7, 2025. [Photo/Xinhua]

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

LHASA — Rescuers are braving freezing temperatures in combing through rubble in their search and rescue of survivors after a 6.8-magnitude earthquake jolted a county in Southwest China’s Xizang autonomous region on Tuesday morning.

Fifty-three people have been confirmed dead, and 62 others injured as of Tuesday noon, after the quake jolted Dingri county in the city of Shigatse at 9:05 am Tuesday (Beijing Time).

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The earthquake was distinctly felt in the county, Tashi Dondrup, the county head of Dingri told Xinhua.

The epicenter was located in Tsogo township of Dingri. The 6.8-magnitude earthquake is the strongest tremor recorded in the county during the past five years.

The quake hit at a depth of 10 km, according to a report issued by the China Earthquake Networks Center.

According to a weather forecast from China’s National Meteorological Center, the temperature in Dingri county on Tuesday would range from minus 18 degrees Celsius to zero.

Official data shows that Dingri county has a population of over 60,000 people, and approximately 6,900 people live within a 20-km radius of the epicenter. A preliminary survey revealed that more than 1,000 houses had sustained varying degrees of damage. Some of these houses have been reduced to rubble.

ALL-OUT RESCUE UNDERWAY

The first batch of rescuers started rescue work as soon as they arrived in Dingri county, China’s firefighting authorities said.

As of 11:40 am, over 1,500 local firefighters and rescue workers had been dispatched to the affected areas.

In view of the severity of the disaster, the China Earthquake Administration launched a level-II emergency response and sent a work team to the site to assist with local disaster relief efforts.

The office of the State Council earthquake relief headquarters and the Ministry of Emergency Management also initiated level-III emergency responses for earthquakes on Tuesday.

Some 22,000 disaster relief items, including cotton tents, cotton coats, quilts and folding beds, together with special relief materials for high-altitude and frigid areas, have been dispatched by central authorities to the quake-hit region.

Shortly after the earthquake, the Chinese military sent a drone to survey the epicenter area, the People’s Liberation Army Western Theater Command said.

Meanwhile, the theater command’s air force immediately activated a disaster relief emergency plan, organizing multiple transport aircraft, medical planes, helicopters and ground forces to stand by.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
The high school division of the Yinchuan Foreign Language Experimental School in Yinchuan, Ningxia Hui autonomous region, organized an award ceremony on Monday to acknowledge Guo Qing's heroic deed of carrying a classmate during the recent earthquake evacuation. The boy's courageous act won widespread admiration online. [Photo provided to chinadaily.com.cn]

Brave student honored for courageous act during earthquake


EDITOR'S PICK

Unauthorized fare increase on the #44 minibus route

January 25, 2024

Fairfield man dies one day after hit down by car

November 22, 2021

World Bank Group Executive Directors have First-Hand Look at Development Challenges in Belize

February 28, 2023

Dr. Terrence Campbell Fires Back at Jagdeo’s “Fry Chicken” Comment with Scathing Response

December 20, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice