Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Minister Edghill misled citizens Cemetery Road will be “fully completed” Monday, August 12

Admin by Admin
August 14, 2024
in News
Truck seen today, Aug 14, 2024 on the eastern carriageway between Princess and Success Streets

Truck seen today, Aug 14, 2024 on the eastern carriageway between Princess and Success Streets

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The People’s Progressive Party (PPP/C) Government continues to fuel perception it cannot be trusted. After much delay and wastage of taxpayers’ money on the Cemetery Road Expansion Project, Public Work Minister Juan Edghill on Saturday, August 10, 2024  promised the road will be “fully completed” on Monday, August 12, 2024. This completion of this project was slated to finish more than a year ago.

As at today Wednesday, August 14, 2024 vehicular traffic is not flowing through the bridge on the eastern carriageway. The truck above is seen today between Princess and Success Streets, around 1:30 p.m, doing work. The Bridge to the eastern carriageway is not opened to vehicular traffic.

READ ALSO

Government to push nightclubs, bars toward noise-proofing to tackle noise nuisance

Guyana’s fifth FPSO to push oil production beyond one million barrels per day

The government again failed to deliver on another promise. Last Saturday the minister visited the project site where works are currently ongoing from Princess Street to Mandela Avenue.

DPI, the Government’s Information outlet reported the minister stating 96 per cent of the works had been completed with two bridges left to be cured after being recently cast with cement.

Saturday, August 10, 2024 Minister of Public Works, Bishop Juan Edghill meeting with one of the sub-contractors as he examined the finishing touches of the road. (DPI photo)

Government said the bridge embankment closer to Princess Street was being cast and was expected to be done by Saturday evening. The government, however reported, the bridge needed two more weeks of curing time before it could be  asphalted to ensure uniformity.

The work executed over the past two weeks was being done by sub-contractors.

Construction workers see today, August 14, 2024 doing work on the Cemetery Road. The road is not opened to vehicular traffic contrary to Minister Edghill promise it will be “fully completed” by Monday, August 12, 2024

Devcon Construction Inc. did the culverts and was to have finished the pedestrian bridges. GDJ Logistics was supposed to have finished the removal of road obstacles and completed the paving works.

Final works were being done by Avinash Contracting Company, the main contractor awarded the project.

The government said due to difficulties faced by Avinash, the Ministry of Public Works Special Project Unit stepped in to render significant assistance to ensure the project met its final timeline. Despite government’s spite assistance and more financial burden to the taxpayers the project was not completed by the new deadline.

The list of of failed deliveries are numerous.The Cemetery Road Project is among other failures such as the 2020 Election campaign promise to renegotiate the oil contracts, the failure to complete Conversation Tree Road Project on the East Coast Demerara which now has an overrun cost of GY$13 million and a new contract awarded for completion to another contractor through sole sourcing. Daily, Guyanese live the failure of reliable electricity, water and other basic amenities in the oil and gas economy that is ranked the world’s fastest growing ,and richest per capita.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

News

Government to push nightclubs, bars toward noise-proofing to tackle noise nuisance

by Admin
August 19, 2026

President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali says entertainment businesses could soon access financing through the Guyana Development Bank (GDB) to invest...

Read moreDetails
The ONE GUYANA oil platform (ExxonMobil photo)
News

Guyana’s fifth FPSO to push oil production beyond one million barrels per day

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Guyana is on track to surpass one million barrels of oil production per day with the arrival of its fifth...

Read moreDetails
News

Guyana records rise in CSEC candidates, top Grade One performers

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Guyana has recorded an increase in the number of students sitting the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations, with preliminary...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Hon Annette Ferguson MP

MP Ferguson lambastes Gov’t for Cemetery Road incompletion, demands answers


EDITOR'S PICK

Hundeessaa was a powerful political voice for the Oromo ethnic group

Ethnic Unrest: Military deployed in Ethiopian capital after more than 80 killed in protests

July 19, 2020

MP Ferguson responds to Minister Mustapha

December 6, 2024
Officers of the Guyana Defence Force along with officials from the Ministry of Education and representatives of the Loyola University at today’s launch

Male Achievement in Education pilot programme launched

October 5, 2023
The Gambia's unique marble voting system is in use

Gambia elections: Ex-President Yahya Jammeh’s shadow looms over poll

December 5, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice