Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Failed oil block auction may cost Guyana billions in deferred revenue-Opposition

Admin by Admin
July 16, 2024
in News
Creator: zhudifeng 
|Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Creator: zhudifeng |Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

“After much fanfare, Guyana’s first offshore oil block auction has become such an unmitigated disaster that Bharrat Jagdeo is now trying desperately to salvage it. He has recently informed the nation about granting more concessions to the winners of the bids and his government’s intention to conduct seismic studies in unawarded blocks. This is the same man who was adamant previously that the oil block auction simply could not wait on seismic studies.” So said the Opposition, A Partnership for National Unity and Alliance for Change (APNU+AFC).

Speaking at a recent press conference, the Opposition noted that seismic studies would have allowed bidders to access much more detailed information about each block yet Government decided to push forward with the auction without the needed studies. Flaying Jagdeo for not doing his homework, the Opposition said he must now go back and conduct the very seismic studies he neglected.

READ ALSO

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

“Without comprehensive seismic studies and large enough blocks to allow companies access to more than one type of oil prospect (as has been the convention with Guyana’s oil blocks) these strict terms were bound to turn investors away from the start, and lead to endless negotiations with those who were brave enough to stay the course.”

Countering with a proposal to mitigate the disaster the Opposition called for a thorough review of any oil blocks that may be auctioned in the future. These Opposition said the review must be conducted, in concert with seismic studies, so that we can properly size oil blocks to make them attractive.

Guyana Oil Block (Opposition Facebook photo)

Guyana Oil Block (Opposition Facebook photo)

“We also believe that companies who are interested but unable to reach an agreement with the government for various prospects should be engaged to identify acceptable variances to the terms of agreement that would allow work to proceed.” To this end the Opposition wants to see the responsibility to approve operational budgets, to that “of robust Petroleum Commission which can operate at a large enough scale, and great enough level of expertise, to ensure the smooth function of the industry.”

Such a commission, the Opposition said can operate at a large enough scale, and great enough level of expertise, to ensure the smooth function of the industry.

Expressing further concern of the handing of the oil block by the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) Government, the Opposition said the party must not be allowed to treat Guyana’s remaining oil blocks, and any acreage which is relinquished in the future, as personal property.

“This attitude has set any oil production in these blocks back by several years and as a result may cost the country billions of dollars in deferred revenue at best and investor interest altogether at worst. There may be several billion barrels of oil in the remaining offshore oil acreage, as the USGS has long indicated the robust potential of our offshore territory. To mismanage such a substantial national asset, to this extent, is totally unacceptable.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

L-R Then Region 10 Regional Chairman Sharma Solomon and then Prime  Minister Sam Hinds signing the Agreement- August 21, 2012
News

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Fourteen years after the people of Linden staged a 33-day protest that forced the Government to reverse a controversial electricity...

Read moreDetails
Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Jermaine Figueira MP

Govt must be deliberate investing in Linden/Region 10 to bring real change to residents as done in other regions


EDITOR'S PICK

Vieira takes a sledgehammer to Jagdeo’s management of sugar, the economy

July 24, 2024

Geeta hot on Benn’s heels

October 7, 2021

Ogunseye Responds to Nascimento’s Criticism

February 28, 2025
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy addresses the United Nations General Assembly on Sept. 25.Timothy A. Clary / AFP via Getty Images file

U.S. in standoff with Ukraine and Europe over competing U.N. resolutions about Russia-Ukraine war

February 24, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice