Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Two months after oil spill, Tobago slowly recovering

Admin by Admin
April 6, 2024
in Regional
The overturned Gulfstream barge involved in the recent oil spill off the coast of Tobago. VINDRA GOPAUL-BOODAN

The overturned Gulfstream barge involved in the recent oil spill off the coast of Tobago. VINDRA GOPAUL-BOODAN

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

As Tobago nears the end of the second month of the oil spill ordeal, the island has been seeing significant progress over the past few weeks with controlling the situation and containing the bunker fuel.

In the first month, the island had been able to contain the leak from the overturned barge, Gulfstream, which ran aground off the Coast of Cove on February 7.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

For weeks the vessel spewed fuel devastating 15 kilometres of shoreline and ecosystem in that area.

Almost two months later, the clean-up continues.

Tobago Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) director Allan Stewart told Guardian Media, on Thursday morning, the island still has a long way to go.

He said, “We have recognized certain aspects of the operation to be coming to an end. That’s where you have these endpoints being established.”

Meanwhile, salvage experts are still on the island strategizing ways to vacuum and contain the remaining oil before bringing it to land.

“It’s not decided fully as yet. They will put it onto a barge and ship it to Trinidad. That is one concept of operation. The reason we can’t go into details is because these are just concepts.”

On Wednesday, Planning and Development Minister Penelope Beckles-Robinson and a team of officials from the Tobago House of Assembly toured the area following discussions on a waste management plan for the collected oil and polluted water. (Trinidad & Tobago Guardian).

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

The Belle Vue Little Library Community Project


EDITOR'S PICK

Donald Trump met Indian PM Narendra Modi in the Oval Office in February

Trump hits India with punishing 50% tariffs for buying Russian oil

August 27, 2025

U.S. Deputy Assistant Secretary for two-day visit to Guyana

March 23, 2022
Cricketers are set to lose a significant chunk of their endorsement income [File] © AFP

Cricket economy struck hard by real money gaming ban

August 26, 2025

GECOM Chair declines to challenge Court of Appeal ruling

June 29, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice