Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
For one was forcefully submerged, until lungs were water filled, to inevitably drown life. Another hacked, then left in a blooded barrel, to exsanguinate. Another hanged, fracturing 3,4,5, eliminating all hopes of staying alive.
Another plea defenceless to an armed army captain, who nonetheless snuffed life, like a brutal assassin. Another, a lawyer, was Christmas gifted lead from her husband, a barbaric barber. Another lacking Bruce Lee’s reflexes, so hadn’t a chance, as sword minced body to extinguish breath. Another hacked to submerge, displaying lacerated bowels. Where 2022 registered 28, representing the world’s deadliest killing field—7 per 100,000.
Notwithstanding, with evidence overwhelming, some would remonstrate—“We men are victims too.” Are you kidding me? What victims? For these are the facts, we men emotionally abuse these women. Economically abuse these women. Psychologically abuse these women. Physically abuse these women. So in frustration and fear, she walks away. However, the response is brutal, as closed fists and well developed legs, beat her into a bloody pulp, even as many go on to hack. Hang. Burn. Shoot. Drown. So, who’re the victims? Who’re the cowards? Who pays the death price?
Which takes us to why? The genesis—Eve birthed out of Adam’s rib. With implications. Without me, there wouldn’t have been you. I gave you life, so I can take it. I own you. My woman. My bi***.
And there’s more. Much more. The Bible characterises women as deceptive. Evil. Dirty. Stay out of our churches when menstruating. Your devilish apple destroyed humanity, so rightly cursed you’re, with excruciating childbirth. Where even the Gods, appear to devalue women, in preferential communicating with men. Thus, the Bible is a Gentleman’s Club. Thus, in many churches women are deemed weaker vessels. Thus, the Pope and the Catholic Leadership, has to be a man.
Then Islam, another Abrahamic religion, also unashamedly debase women. For the Quran speaks to both women and men dressing modestly. However, this the all men jury interpretation—Burka for women, with only eyes exposed. Hence women are flooding the Iranian streets, protesting an imposed dress code, that’s outlawed at Mecca Salah prayers and many Islamic countries.
However, there’s more. Much more. Women can’t drive. Can’t leave their homes unless male accompanied. Can’t lead religious worship. Can’t seek employment. Can’t seek an education. For the men sit comfortably in the Mosque, while women are relegated to the back rooms. Where shockingly, young men are tutored on acceptable wife beating. Where an instantaneous divorce only requires a man’s triple repeated Talaq. TALAQ. TALAQ. TALAQ. Divorce.
Which means, Judaism the third Abrahamic religion, shares a similar misogynistic underpinning. For only men are deemed descendants of Levi, even as the Torah disparages women. Lazy. Jealous. Vain. Gluttonous. Gossipers. Witchcraft. Then the usual— Focus on wifely duties. Forget education.
The fact is, historically religion has underpinned many laws and cultures. Which means, the misogynistic Abrahamic religions, with genesis in a misogynistic Prophet Abraham, delivered misogynistic laws, to underpin misogynistic societies. As a result, millions of women are denied voting rights. Are deemed untrustworthy, for their supposed Garden of Eden transgressions. Are deemed evil, for tempting to destroy, God’s Holy men. Are considered the weaker vessels, thus are denied a voice. Are pigeonholed as baby factories, rather than leaders, since God utilised Mary to birth Jesus. And it’s this misogyny that informed laws. Indoctrinate our young men. Indoctrinate our societies. Women are our inferior. They shan’t be leaders. We gave them life. So we can take it.
Nonetheless, spiritual defenders with Bibles in hand. Qurans on tongue. Torahs in heart. Will post-haste defend a holy misogynistic belief construct, that vilifies to brutalise women. However, this I confess, God I’m yet to see, but I’ve seen my mother being beaten bruised, thus my heart shall defend what my eyes hath seen.
For a pandemic this is, so speaketh United Nations Women.
- Globally, men violence against women, accounts for the leading cause of the premature death of women.
- Globally, in 2021, 45,000 women and girls worldwide were killed by their intimate partners or other family members. Where this represents, more than five women and girls being murdered every hour.
- According to the New Report, in 2021, Asia recorded the highest number of female intimate partner and family related killings, with an estimated 17,800 victims; followed by 17,200 in Africa; 7,500 in the Americas; 2,500 in Europe; and 300 in Oceania.
- Adjusted for population size, the available data shows, 2.5 women and girls per 100,000 were killed by an intimate partner or family member in Africa; compared with 1.4 in the Americas; 1.2 in Oceania; 0.8 in Asia; and 0.6 in Europe.
- Where this represents only the tip of the iceberg, since many are uncounted. In fact, 2021 saw 40% of cases, without data to make a classification.
- However, data out of South Africa evidenced substantive and sustained decreases in femicide, could be achieved through comprehensive laws and policies, aimed at preventing gender-based violence against women, firearms control legislation and activism of women’s rights and community-based groups.
- Additionally, Women Rights Organisations play a crucial role in preventing violence against women and girls, through driving policy change, holding governments to account, and providing critical survivor centred services
- Notwithstanding, global antagonism to women’s rights, through regressive laws driven by religion, mean protecting women and girls from violence is getting even more challenging.
PPP inactionAnd facing a femicide pandemic, PPP remain unperturbed, evidenced in budget allocation shockingly limited, even as their prayers for policies are now being answered;
- Policing should incorporate Women studies.
- School curriculum should incorporated Women studies.
- National abuse helplines, available 24hrs a day.
- Comprehensive laws and policies against domestic abuse.
- Educating health providers, teachers etc, on domestic abuse, and it’s recognition.
- Investment in social workers, psychologists etc.
- Promoting a strong, vocal and apolitical Women Rights Organisations at the community levels.
- Make prison sentences deterrents and rehabilitative.
- Address PPP cultural abuse of women.
- Make domestic abuse a national emergency.
Which takes us to that ignored—After she is brutally murdered, what becomes of her babies, cowardly abandoned by another man?