Monday, August 17, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Death Toll From India Bridge Collapse Rises To 134

Admin by Admin
October 31, 2022
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The death toll from a footbridge collapse in India increased to 134, with numerous children killed, as police detained nine people as part of a criminal investigation into one of the country’s deadliest tragedies in the last decade.

On Sunday, a footbridge across the Machhu River in the town of Morbi collapsed, throwing people into the river below. The bridge was crowded with tourists enjoying holiday festivities.

READ ALSO

Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea

CCTV footage from before the collapse showed a group of young guys taking selfies while others attempted to rock the suspension bridge from side to side before falling into the river below as the cables holding it together failed.

“The death toll in the bridge collapse incident has gone up. The search and rescue operations are continuing,” said the senior official, NK Muchhar, adding that the toll could rise further.

According to Muchhar, emergency teams from neighbouring regions and members of the armed forces were dispatched to assist with rescue efforts and track down the missing.

More than 400 people, according to the authorities, were on and around the colonial-era suspension bridge when it collapsed. The Chhath Puja and Diwali vacations have brought a large number of tourists to the bridge.

Local officials told Reuters the manager of the bridge, a company making clocks and electrical items, had not informed the authorities that the bridge would be reopened last week after repairs, adding that no certificate was fit for public use had been issued.

A five-person committee was selected to look into the catastrophe.

The 230-meter bridge was constructed in the 19th century when Britain was in power. It recently reopened to the public after six months of closure for renovations. (Caribbean News Now)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

A health worker sprays disinfectant in a freshly dug grave for the body of Jacques Lobo Dhena, who died of Ebola, in Bunia, Ituri province, eastern Congo, Wednesday, Aug. 12, 2026. (AP Photo/Dieudonne Dirole)
Global

Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country’s worst with over 2,300 dead

by Admin
August 17, 2026

BUNIA, Congo (AP) — Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak has now killed over 2,300 people and become the deadliest outbreak of the disease...

Read moreDetails
President Donald Trump 
Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters
Global

Trump orders Pentagon to scale back joint exercises with South Korea

by Admin
August 17, 2026

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon on Sunday to scale back annual joint military exercises with South Korea,...

Read moreDetails
ROK and US militaries launch joint military exercises in Pyeongtaek, the Republic of Korea, August 17, 2026. /VCG
Global

China says peace, stability in Korean Peninsula serve interests of all

by Admin
August 17, 2026

CGTN News - Maintaining peace and stability in the Korean Peninsula and promoting the political solution of the peninsula issue...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
CARICOM Secretariat, Turkeyen, Greater Georgetown, Guyana

CARICOM countries consider asking Guyana to share oil wealth as T’dad did


EDITOR'S PICK

Tokyo 2020: Athletes ‘probably very worried’ after positive Covid test in village 

July 18, 2021
Lt Col (Ret’d) Lelon Saul

Critical Response: Debunking Divisive Narratives and Superficial Unity in Guyanese Discourse

February 26, 2025
Trevor Benn, Chairman GPSCCU

Public Service Credit Union sets date for Special General Meeting, Elections 

May 23, 2022
Terrence Poole

Olympic Association’s  Message on Passing of Coach Terrence Poole MS, Pan-American Games Medalist

October 6, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice