Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Govt’s response to Charrandass Persaud scandal unacceptable

Admin by Admin
October 27, 2022
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

By Mark DaCosta- President Irfaan Ali has responded — on behalf of the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) regime — to the outrage expressed by Guyanese regarding recalled High Commissioner Charrandass Persaud’s conduct. President Ali’s three and a half minutes long response via video is seen as unacceptable and an insult to the intelligence, sensibilities, and concerns of all Guyanese. Further, the administration cannot ignore the impact of the president’s message that women may be justified in feeling offended and slapped in the face by the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) government

Basically, President Ali said the following:

READ ALSO

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

  1. He became aware of the fact that High Commissioner (HC) Persaud had been involved in an incident on or about October 25 after he saw the video. The implication is that he had no prior knowledge.
  2. The president spoke with the HC, who told him that the video did not reflect everything that transpired.
  3. The president said, “[HC Persaud] agreed with me that he will return home from his posting in India.”
  4. The president concluded by talking about an orderly transition at Guyana’s High Commission to India.

President Ali’s response raises numerous questions and concerns.

  1. How could the Government of Guyana be unaware of an allegation of serious abuse against Guyana’s High Commissioner to India more than a year after it happened?
  2. How was the president not informed of the allegation even as many high level agencies in India were involved since August 2021 (as President Ali said in his video)?
  3. What did President Ali’s mean when he said that, “Persaud agreed to come home;” was Charandass Persaud recalled or not?
  4. If the PPP government was unaware of the incident, how is that reconciled with Tuesday’s statement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs that said that HC Persaud had been cleared and the matter was closed?

The questions and concerns raised by President Ali’s response may be regarded as a ludicrous and feeble attempt to excuse, cover up, and even justify Persaud’s behavior. Further, President Ali’s account of events is far from believable; it is self-contradictory, contrary to logic, and it makes no sense. And, as TV’s Judge Judy famously says, “If it makes no sense it’s a lie.”

Guyanese — particularly women – would note that no apology was made for the conduct of the PPP official. No reprimand of HC Persaud was mentioned. There was no indication of any future investigation. There was no condemnation of Persaud’s conduct. And there is no indication that the PPP regime will, in any manner whatsoever, punish Persaud for the disgrace, embarrassment, and hurt that his actions have caused.

All things considered, Guyanese may be justified in concluding that the president’s response has added insult to injury. Citizens wonder too, in what high paying, luxurious position will Charandass Persaud be placed next by the PPP regime? The question is being asked  fully aware of calls, particularly by women, for Persaud not to ever be employed again by the state.

 

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Office of the President
News

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

by Admin
August 22, 2026

Police have launched an investigation into a late-night gunfire incident near the Office of the President after a vehicle belonging...

Read moreDetails
Michael Richmond
News

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

by Admin
August 22, 2026

The A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) has raised concerns about the economic prospects of young Guyanese, questioning whether the...

Read moreDetails
President Irfaan Ali- May 22, 2026 press conference (screengrab)
News

President Ali Coming After Social Media Users as Govt Considers New Laws

by Admin
August 22, 2026

President Irfaan Ali has signalled that his administration is considering tougher legal measures against social media users, warning that Guyana...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

India assured by Opposition Guyanese united in condemnation of Charrandass’ vile behaviour-


EDITOR'S PICK

WIN Leader and Leader of the Opposition Azruddin Mohamed MP

Court Hearing Delayed as Azruddin Mohamed Battles Dengue Fever

March 24, 2026
Guyana, USA pandits recently congregated in Guyana

Pandits from Guyana, USA convene to discuss Hindu issues and Sanatan Dharma preservation

January 31, 2025
Guyana Defence Force soldiers (GDF Facebook photo)

GDF Warns Soldiers Against Political Involvement

August 20, 2025
Participants at the meeting (CARICOM photo)

Modernisation of CARICOM Financial Sector in focus in Trinidad and Tobago

December 6, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice