Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

Assassination attempt on Argentine vice president

Staff Writer by Staff Writer
September 2, 2022
in Regional
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

(CNN) A man has been arrested after attempting to shoot Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, Argentina’s vice-president and former President, at point blank range outside her home in Buenos Aires on Thursday.

Video of the incident shows the vice president smiling as she walks by a crowd of people. A man in the crowd then surges forward, pointing a gun at Fernández de Kirchner’s face and apparently attempting a shot. No bullets are fired and the two-time former President flinches backward, unharmed.

The attacker was taken into custody after a few seconds of confusion and panic.

Argentina’s official news agency, Télam, identified the man as 35-year-old Brazilian national Fernando Andre Sabag Montiel.

The Argentine Ministry of Security confirmed the weapon used in the incident was a .380 firearm with bullets inside.

In a televised address late Thursday, Argentina’s President Alberto Fernández said the suspect aimed a loaded gun at Fernández de Kirchner, which did not fire despite the pulled trigger.

“Cristina is still alive because — for some reason we can’t technically confirm at this moment — the weapon, which was armed with five bullets, did not shoot although the trigger was pulled,” he said.

He called the assassination attempt an attack on democracy, saying, “We must eradicate hate and violence from our media and political discourse.” He declared Friday a national holiday for the country to rally together in support of Fernández de Kirchner.

Former Argentine President Mauricio Macri also renounced the attack on Thursday, calling for an “immediate and profound clarification by the justice system and the security forces.”

Fernández de Kirchner is among Argentina’s most prominent political figures, having served as President from 2007 to 2015, before taking office as vice president in 2019.

Her supporters have been holding rallies outside her home for several days, in response to an ongoing trial in which she is accused of corruption during her term as President.

Earlier in August, a federal prosecutor called for Fernández de Kirchner to serve a 12-year prison sentence. The court is yet to rule on the request.

Days later, her supporters clashed with police in the Argentine capital, with Télam reporting police used sticks and tear gas on protesters after a group of people knocked down fences near her home.

Police work behind a security cordon after a man pointed a gun at Argentine Vice-President Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner outside her residence in Buenos Aires on September 1.

 

During the national address on Thursday, President Fernández said he had been in touch with the judge assigned to the case to act as quickly as possible.

 

Governor of Buenos Aires province, Axel Kicillof, called the attack “one of the worst episodes in our history” in a Twitter post following the incident.

 

“Those who insist on persecuting, inciting violence and even calling for the death penalty must stop now. You cannot continue to promote hatred and violence,” Kicillof said.

 

The governor had visited Kirchner’s residence in the Buenos Aires neighborhood of Recoleta late Thursday night after the attack, Télam reported.

 

Argentina has been roiled by demonstrations this summer, with thousands taking to the streets protesting the administration’s management of soaring inflation and corruption allegations.

In 2016 a judge indicted Fernández de Kirchner along with 11 others on charges of corruption, illicit association, and aggravated fraudulent administration, freezing $643 million of her assets.

 

Fernández de Kirchner was charged for allegedly directing public road works to a company called Austral Constructions during her presidency. At the time, she had criticized the investigation as being politically motivated.

 

She was also simultaneously on trial for another corruption case, in which she was accused of allegedly meddling with the sale of US dollars by the nation’s central bank. The case was dismissed in 2021, with the court ruling in favor of Fernández de Kirchner, according to CNN affiliate CNN Español.

ReplyForward
ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Regional

JAMAICA | Guyana Has Been Selling Hurricane-Proof Houses Since 2022. Jamaica Sent Its Order to Jiangsu

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Ten months after Melissa, Hanover families are still without homes. A CARICOM neighbour manufactures the answer in hardwood — and...

Read moreDetails
Clare Browne
Regional

Director of Education Has Mixed Feelings About CXC Removing SBAs Amid AI and Paid-Work Concerns

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Director of Education Clare Browne says he has mixed feelings about CXC’s decision to remove school-based assessments from several subjects...

Read moreDetails
dedicated to late mom:  Senior multimedia investigative journalist Mark Bassant.
News

Bassant, Kissoon win CBU awards

by Admin
August 21, 2026

TWO veteran journalists with the Express were among the Caribbean journalists recognised at the 37th Caribbean Broadcasting Union (CBU) Media...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Observing World Coconut Day


EDITOR'S PICK

China's Shenzhou-18 crew working at the space station. /CFP

China to launch new crew to space station this month

October 6, 2024
Venezuela Ambassador to Guyana Luis Edgardo Diaz Monclus and Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hugh Todd

Venezuela says disappointed with fighter jets flyover 

March 4, 2021
Angela Bassett receiving her second   Golden Globe Award January 10, 2023 (Google photo)

Angela Bassett Celebrates ‘Spirit’ of Chadwick Boseman While Accepting Best Supporting Golden Globe

January 11, 2023
19 years old, Vitel Lawes

Vitel Lawes: Fuelled by Industry, Inspired by Greatness

July 11, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice