Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Sports

Chelsea takeover imminent after final agreement reached 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
May 29, 2022
in Sports
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

LONDON (AP) — The sale of Premier League club Chelsea is expected to be completed Monday after a “final and definitive” agreement was reached with the consortium fronted by Los Angeles Dodgers part-owner Todd Boehly.

The club said Saturday that “a final and definitive agreement was entered into last night” to sell to the Boehly and Clearlake Capital consortium. The price is 2.5 billion pounds ($3.2 billion) — the highest ever for a sports team.

READ ALSO

All-round Keemo Paul downs Patriots as Kingsmen get off the bottom

ICC mulls Gandhi Jayanti start for 2027 World Cup

“It is expected that the transaction will be completed on Monday,” the club said. The announcement followed a series of approvals allowing Roman Abramovich to sell after he was sanctioned over his links to Russian President Vladimir Putin after the invasion of Ukraine. Abramovich has owned the club for 19 years.

The British government, which had sanctioned Abramovich, approved the sale this week after ensuring that the Russian oligarch could not profit from it. The Premier League had earlier given its approval.

Chelsea has been operating under a government license since Abramovich’s assets were frozen in March and it expires Tuesday. “It has been an honor of a lifetime to be a part of this club,” Abramovich said in a statement posted on Chelsea’s website. “My goal has been to ensure that the next owner has a mindset that will enable success for the men’s and women’s team, as well as the will and drive to continue developing other key aspects of the club, such as the academy and the vital work of Chelsea Foundation,” he added.

The men’s team has won 21 trophies during Abramovich’s ownership. Chelsea fans have become accustomed to lavish spending under Abramovich, with more than $1 billion net spending on players.

Boehly’s group was chosen earlier this month after pledging to invest 1.75 billion pounds ($2.2 billion) in the teams and infrastructure. The consortium also features Dodgers principal owner Mark Walter, Swiss billionaire Hansjorg Wyss, and funding from private equity firm Clearlake. “I am pleased this search has now come to a successful conclusion,” Abramovich said. “As I hand over Chelsea to its new custodians, I would like to wish them the best of success, both on and off the pitch.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Sports

All-round Keemo Paul downs Patriots as Kingsmen get off the bottom

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Jamaica Kingsmen registered their second win of the season and got themselves off the bottom of the points table, beating...

Read moreDetails
Sports

ICC mulls Gandhi Jayanti start for 2027 World Cup

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The ODI World Cup next year in Africa is likely to begin on October 2, 2027 — Gandhi Jayanti Day....

Read moreDetails
Sports

TRIDENTS STORM TO THE TOP WITH WIN OVER KINGS

by Admin
August 17, 2026

Barbados Tridents remained unbeaten in the Republic Bank Caribbean Premier League (CPL) 2026 with a nine-run victory over the Saint...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Pakistan win scrappy contest off the last ball to sweep series 


EDITOR'S PICK

A robot draws a picture at the ongoing 2024 World Robot Conference in Beijing. CHEN XIAOGEN/FOR CHINA DAILY

China ahead in humanoid robots field

August 23, 2024
Saran Anika Nurse

Guyanese student receives knowledge challenge grant in US

January 3, 2021
Dolla is leaving Guyana due to the geopolitical uncertainty.

Dolla business packing up and leaving Guyana after two years of operation

April 5, 2024
Dr. Barbara Reynolds

Guyanese Dr. Barbara Reynolds elected Chair UN Working Group of Experts

May 7, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice