Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
Fire early Monday morning destroyed two homes in West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown.
A Guyana Fire Service release stated that at 04:47 am it received a call and was alerted to a fire at Lot 188 West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown. Water Tenders #76 and #105 from the Central Fire Station and #106 from the West Ruimveldt Fire Station were immediately dispatched to the location.
Upon arrival firefighters observed that the structure involved was a two storey wooden and concrete building which was engulfed in flames. The building was owned and occupied by Shabikie Fernandes. As a result of the fire the uninsured building and its contents were destroyed leaving the woman homeless.
The purported cause of the fire is faulty electrical wiring which resulted in arcing and sparking, ignited and spread to nearby combustibles.
Also affected by the blaze was a two storey wooden and concrete building located at Lot 189 West Ruimveldt Housing Scheme, Georgetown. The building is owned by Rudolph Sam and occupied by himself and family of three.
Due to radiated heat from the building of origin one AC unit was slightly damaged and ten (10) metres of PVC guttering on the Northern side of the building was destroyed.
“The Guyana Fire Service continues to encourage citizens to equip their homes with smoke detectors and fire extinguishers and to adhere to safety measures in order to protect their home and loved ones from fire emergencies,” the release concluded.