Wednesday, August 19, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Guyana among several South American countries banned from traveling to the UK over new COVID-19 variant discovered in Brazil

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
January 14, 2021
in News
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Transport Secretary Grant Shapps

The United Kingdom has issued a travel ban on travelers from several South American countries including Guyana.
On Thursday, British Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said that the ban which will begin on Friday is as a result of a new COVID-19 variant which has been identified in Brazil.

British and Irish citizens and foreign nationals with residence rights will still be able to travel but must isolate for 10 days.
Shapps told the BBC that he “can’t provide an end date” to the new restrictions.

READ ALSO

Government to push nightclubs, bars toward noise-proofing to tackle noise nuisance

Guyana’s fifth FPSO to push oil production beyond one million barrels per day

The new travel ban applies to people who have travelled from, or through, the South American countries of Argentina, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay and Venezuela in the last 10 days.
Portugal, including the islands of Madeira and the Azores, is also banned, along with the central American nation of Panama and the former Portuguese colony of Cape Verde, off the West African coast.

Shapps said the current restrictions on global travel meant he didn’t “expect a large number of Brits to have jaunted off to South America and we’re not expecting to see a big repatriation issue as a result”.

Portugal had been included “given its strong travel links with Brazil”, he said, but added that there would be an exemption for hauliers travelling from the country to allow the transportation of essential goods.

He said suspending travel from that European country would act “as another way to reduce the risk of importing infections”.
Qatar and the Caribbean islands of Aruba, Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba have also been removed from the UK’s travel corridor lists, meaning anyone arriving from these countries after 04:00 GMT on Saturday will have to quarantine for 10 days.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

News

Government to push nightclubs, bars toward noise-proofing to tackle noise nuisance

by Admin
August 19, 2026

President Dr Mohamed Irfaan Ali says entertainment businesses could soon access financing through the Guyana Development Bank (GDB) to invest...

Read moreDetails
The ONE GUYANA oil platform (ExxonMobil photo)
News

Guyana’s fifth FPSO to push oil production beyond one million barrels per day

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Guyana is on track to surpass one million barrels of oil production per day with the arrival of its fifth...

Read moreDetails
News

Guyana records rise in CSEC candidates, top Grade One performers

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Guyana has recorded an increase in the number of students sitting the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) examinations, with preliminary...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

GNBS destroys thousands of substandard light switches destroyed


EDITOR'S PICK

March deadliest month for Covid

March 29, 2021

From High School ‘Top Student’ to University of Guyana Graduate: Oureanna’s Remarkable Journey to Higher Education

November 13, 2023
Prime Minister of St. Vincent and the Grenadines Dr. Ralph Gonsalves taking the COVID-19 Jab (News 784)

Gonsalves Receives His First Dose Of Sputnik Vaccine

February 10, 2021
Advisor to the Minister of Health, Dr Leslie Ramsammy

Blood transfusion service receives 10,000 donors to date

June 15, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice