Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

‘No form of legal electricity’ where Regent St. Fire Started – Fire Chief

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
November 9, 2020
in News
The result of the fire at Singh’s Electronics. In the photo are the two holes firegithers carved into the roller shutter doors of the building. (Lisa Hamilton photo)

The result of the fire at Singh’s Electronics. In the photo are the two holes firegithers carved into the roller shutter doors of the building. (Lisa Hamilton photo)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Fire Sunday night destroyed Singh’s Electronics Store on Regent Street

Fire Chief, Marlon Gentle has said that initial investigations into Sunday night’s fire on Regent Street which destroyed Singh’s Electronics Store have revealed that there was “no form of legal electricity” at the make-shift structure stationed where the former Sachi Superstore was located.

“What we’ve learned so far is that this structure where the fire started from, which was the old burned down Sachi site, they had constructed some kind of make-shift tent and then they wrapped it in plastic so as to have some kind of a store going,” Gentle told Village Voice Guyana Monday.

READ ALSO

Court Halts Maha Sabha Ashram Works as Management Dispute Deepens

Mohameds Demand Anderson Recuse Himself, Urgent Disclosure of Records

The property where the make-shift structure was constructed (Lisa Hamilton photo)

The Fire Chief said too that no permission was received from authorities for the establishment of the temporary structure.
“We have confirmed from the City Engineers Department that no permission was given for any temporary structure there and what we learned so far is that they began to stock stuff subsequently, either Friday or Saturday, with apparently decorative items, toys and so on, preparing for the Christmas and this building had no form of legal electricity,” he said.

The fire at Singh’s Electronics, at Lot 136 Regent Street, took place one building away from the GUYOIL gas station and failure to control the fire could have proven much more disastrous.

“We’re still working with the Government electrical department to clarify clearly what went wrong there but it’s pointing in the direction that there may have been unsafe use of electricity that started the fire…we found evidence of drop cords and different types of contraptions,” Gentle told Village Voice Guyana.
The Sachi Superstore was destroyed by fire in February 2020 and according to the Fire Chief, both fires are different in nature. He said investigations revealed that the fire in February showed evidence of forced entry.

“We found evidence of cutting torches and welding cylinders and so on that we thought were used to cut and gain entry,” he said.
Sunday’s losses are estimated in the millions.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Maha Sabha
News

Court Halts Maha Sabha Ashram Works as Management Dispute Deepens

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The legal battle over control of the Guyana Sanatan Dharma Maha Sabha has intensified, with the High Court imposing significant...

Read moreDetails
News

Mohameds Demand Anderson Recuse Himself, Urgent Disclosure of Records

by Admin
August 19, 2026

Attorneys for Nazar and Azruddin Mohamed have escalated their challenge to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ), demanding urgent disclosure...

Read moreDetails
News

President Ali Attacks, Opposition Leader Mohamed Demands Evidence

by Admin
August 19, 2026

President Irfaan Ali and Opposition Leader Azruddin Mohamed have become locked in a fierce public confrontation over corruption, credibility and...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Eight  PC students test positive for Covid-19 


EDITOR'S PICK

Coalition condemns execution of Golden Grove youth

June 14, 2022
Adrianna Younge

No Foul Play Found in Adrianna Younge’s Death, But Experts Call for Further Investigation

May 31, 2025

Art of Living Guyana Extends Condolences and Offers Free Meditation and Wellbeing Support during National Mourning

July 23, 2026

Highlights: China’s top legislature holds press conference ahead of annual session

March 4, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice