Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

WHO chief Tedros in quarantine after contact gets COVID-19

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
November 2, 2020
in Global
The 55-year-old former Ethiopian foreign minister has been at the forefront of the United Nations health agency's efforts to battle the pandemic [File: Fabrice Coffrini/Pool via Reuters]

The 55-year-old former Ethiopian foreign minister has been at the forefront of the United Nations health agency's efforts to battle the pandemic [File: Fabrice Coffrini/Pool via Reuters]

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The 55-year-old former Ethiopian foreign minister has been at the forefront of the United Nations health agency’s efforts to battle the pandemic [File: Fabrice Coffrini/Pool via Reuters]
Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says he will enter self-quarantine and work from home after a contact of his tests positive.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the director-general of the World Health Organization (WHO), has said that he is self-quarantining after someone he was in contact with tested positive for COVID-19.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

In a tweet late on Sunday, he added that he was symptom-free and feeling well.

“I have been identified as a contact of someone who has tested positive for #COVID19. I am well and without symptoms but will self-quarantine over the coming days, in line with @WHO protocols, and work from home,” Tedros said.

The 55-year-old former Ethiopian foreign minister has been at the forefront of the United Nations health agency’s efforts to battle the pandemic.

COVID-19 has claimed nearly 1.2 million lives and infected more than 46 million people worldwide since it was first detected in China late last year.

Tedros stressed on Twitter that “it is critically important that we all comply with health guidance”.

“This is how we will break chains of #COVID19 transmission, suppress the virus, and protect health systems,” he added.

The WHO urges all individuals to be careful about hand-washing, wearing masks and keeping a distance and calls on authorities to find, isolate, test and care for people with COVID-19, then trace and quarantine their contacts.

Tedros’s comments came as several European nations, including Switzerland, where the WHO has its headquarters, wound back the clocks to the spring with fresh lockdowns and restrictions aimed at halting soaring cases and deaths.

Geneva, the Swiss capital, declared a fresh state of emergency on Sunday and said it would go beyond national measures and shut down all bars, restaurants and non-essential shops.

Authorities in the region of some 500,000 people said the new measures were needed due to surging cases – with more than 1,000 positive daily tests in recent days – and also ballooning numbers of COVID-19 patients in Geneva hospitals and emergency care units. (Aljazeera)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern (right) and Nanaia Mahuta who has just been made foreign minister [File: Bianca de Marchi/Pool via AFP]

Jacinda Ardern names ‘incredibly diverse’ New Zealand cabinet


EDITOR'S PICK

Guyana is not a real place

May 18, 2024
China's Shenzhou-18 crew working at the space station. /CFP

China to launch new crew to space station this month

October 6, 2024
President Donald Trump 
Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters

Iran rejects ‘delusions’ after Trump says he wants the Strait of Hormuz to be a U.S. territory

August 16, 2026
Minister of Education, Priya Manickchand sits through an English B lesson with students of Queen’s College in their smart classroom in February 10, 2021

Manickchand vows to fix cracks in education system   

May 24, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice