Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Libyan PM al-Serraj takes back resignation

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
October 31, 2020
in Global
The UN Support Mission in Libya and the parliament in Tripoli had also called on al-Serraj to defer his decision, citing 'reasons of higher interest' [File: AFP]

The UN Support Mission in Libya and the parliament in Tripoli had also called on al-Serraj to defer his decision, citing 'reasons of higher interest' [File: AFP]

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The UN Support Mission in Libya and the parliament in Tripoli had also called on al-Serraj to defer his decision, citing ‘reasons of higher interest’ [File: AFP]
Al-Serraj will remain in office until ongoing intra-Libyan political dialogue comes to an end, gov’t said.

Libyan Prime Minister Fayez al-Serraj has taken back his decision to resign and will remain in office until the ongoing intra-Libyan political dialogue talks come to an end.
The announcement on Friday by the Libyan government spokesman Galib al-Zaklai comes a day after the High Council of State urged al-Serraj, the head of the Tripoli-based internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA), to stay until a new presidential council is selected to avoid a political vacuum detrimental to Libya’s stability.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The UN Support Mission in Libya and the parliament in Tripoli had also called on al-Serraj to defer his decision, citing “reasons of higher interest”.
In September, al-Serraj announced his “sincere desire” to hand over duties to the next executive authority no later than the end of October, as part of the landmark deal to end years of conflict with a rival administration dominated by renegade military commander Khalifa Haftar.

The two warring sides have already launched talks via videoconference but are due to hold in-person negotiations on November 9 in Tunisia, to discuss holding national elections.

The GNA, in a statement, said al-Sarraj received several requests to stay in his post longer to avoid a “political vacuum”, including from “leaders in friendly countries”, UN officials and civil society groups.
One request was from Germany’s Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, who had urged al-Serraj to remain in his post “in order to guarantee institutional and executive continuity” in the “crucial weeks” ahead.

Last week, Libya’s warring sides signed an agreement in Geneva for a lasting ceasefire and said all foreign fighters and mercenaries must leave the country within three months.

The two military delegations that struck the deal will reconvene soon with subcommittees to work out details on tough questions, including the withdrawal from front lines, the departure of mercenaries and the unification of armed forces.

Both sides are also supported by an array of fractious militias, though the respective administrations often struggle to control them. In much of the country, heavily armed militias hold sway and have repeatedly undermined ceasefire attempts.

Libya descended into a civil war after the overthrow and killing of strongman and leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011, eventually being split between two main factions – the GNA in Tripoli, backed by Turkey and Qatar, and Haftar’s forces in the east, backed by the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Russia. (Aljazeera)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Prime Minister Mia Amor Mottley and the IMF‘s Bert van Selm. (FILE)

IMF mission lauds Barbados’ progress


EDITOR'S PICK

The future is now, we must go forth boldly and claim it or others will dictate it

August 18, 2024

Verreynne century and Rabada masterclass put South Africa on top in Bangladesh

October 22, 2024
[L-R] David A. Ramdeholl, Savitree Singh Sharma, Sanjeev Datadin, Minister Bishop Juan Edghill, Dawn Ellis, Dr. Amarnauth Dukhi, Sean Richmond, CEO, Ramesh Ghir

CJIA Board gets mandate to upgrade facility

October 15, 2020

Police Conduct Community Outreach in Beterverwagting

May 30, 2024

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice