Sunday, August 23, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Jagdeo says Failure to File a Defence Inadvertent- Wants CCJ to suspend Judgement in defamation Case.

Admin by Admin
September 6, 2023
in News
Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo during his press conference on Friday (DPI photo)

Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo during his press conference on Friday (DPI photo)

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Guyana’s Vice President Bharrat Jagdeo is determined not to pay MP Annette Ferguson the 20-million dollars in damages and costs awarded to her by High Court Judge Justice Sandra Kurtzious’ for a case of libel which she brought against him.

Ms Ferguson had on January 9, 2020 filed a GY$25 million lawsuit for libel purportedly committed by Mr Jagdeo, as Opposition Leader, on December 5, 2019.

READ ALSO

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

Hours after the Guyana Court of Appeal yesterday paved the way for the High Court to decide on the amount of damages that Bharrat Jagdeo has to pay for defaming former Housing Minister Annette Ferguson, he has moved to the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ) for the libel case to be reopened or struck out altogether.

Jagdeo, against whom the High Court issued a default judgment on March 11, 2023 because he had failed to lodge a defence, also wants the CCJ to suspend Justice Sandra Kurtzious’ award of damages and costs until the Trinidad-headquartered court hears his appeal. The High Court judge had awarded GY$20 million to Ms Ferguson.

Opposition Member of Parliament Annette Ferguson

A Demerara Waves Online News, report says Jagdeo is asking “the CCJ to set aside that default judgement and send back the case to the High Court.

“In his Notice of Application to the CCJ,  Mr Jagdeo said his then lawyer and legal adviser to the People’s Progressive Party (PPP), Anil Nandlall, had been so busy with court cases before and after the March 2, 2020 general elections,  political duties and the court itself had been closed for COVID, all resulting in the inadvertent failure to file a defence on or around February 25, 2020.

“I made several inquiries about the filing of a defence, and at all times was under the mistaken impression that the matter had been attended to. I had no reason to believe otherwise, and had I known that the defence was not filed, I would have immediately taken steps to ensure that the proper application was made to the Court,” Jagdeo said.

Vice President Bharrat JagdeoThe report went on to say that “Mr. Jagdeo, a former President and currently Vice President, sought to assure the CCJ that Mr Nandlall, now Guyana’s Attorney General, failure to file the defence was not due to neglect “but rather a combination of unusual and exceptional time sensitive circumstances relating to Guyana’s election, which caused counsel to fail to comply with the time limits established by the rules.”

“He said unknowing to him or his lawyer, Ms Ferguson on February 24, 2021 filed for a default judgment which was granted by Justice Kurtzious, awarding GY$20 million in damages and GY$75,000 in costs.

“He said that was done, without conducting an assessment hearing, “depriving me of an opportunity to be heard at least as to damages.”

Mr Jagdeo blamed the High Court for breaching the civil procedure rules by failing to notify his lawyer of an impending default judgement so that the defence could have been filed, and cited Ms Ferguson for not notifying the High Court of an interlocutory case.

“Separately, I have been informed by counsel and verily believe that I have a constitutional right to be notified of an application for a default judgment, which was not done. I believe it to be simply unfair that an applicant can secretly apply for a default judgment without notification,” he added. (WiredJA)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Office of the President
News

Shot Rings Out Near President’s Office, Suspected Warhead Recovered

by Admin
August 22, 2026

Police have launched an investigation into a late-night gunfire incident near the Office of the President after a vehicle belonging...

Read moreDetails
Michael Richmond
News

Guyana’s Oil Wealth Must Create Real Opportunities for Young People- APNU

by Admin
August 22, 2026

The A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) has raised concerns about the economic prospects of young Guyanese, questioning whether the...

Read moreDetails
President Irfaan Ali- May 22, 2026 press conference (screengrab)
News

President Ali Coming After Social Media Users as Govt Considers New Laws

by Admin
August 22, 2026

President Irfaan Ali has signalled that his administration is considering tougher legal measures against social media users, warning that Guyana...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Roysdale Forde S.C,

I make no apologies for speaking our truth as we live, experience and understand it-Guyana must rise!


EDITOR'S PICK

Those attacks against journalists

April 23, 2023
Akeal Hosein relishes bowling the tough overs in T20 cricket  ICC via Getty

Akeal Hosein’s time to shine

December 12, 2021

Shenanigans are trumping and obstructing GECOM’s deliberations

January 9, 2025

President Ali is marching on royal road similar to European enslavers and Plantation Overseers

August 9, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice