Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Opposition says there is increasing disrespect for women by PPP Gov’t

- Ali's 1000-men initiative to fix and reorient men hypocritical  

Admin by Admin
November 3, 2022
in News
Guyanese women

Guyanese women

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The A Partnership for National Unity and Alliance for Change (APNU+AFC) at a press conference on Tuesday made clear their feeling the governing People’s Progressive Party is showing increasing disrespect for women and President Irfaan Ali’s 1000-men initiative to “fix” and “reorient” men is “hypocritical!”

According to the coalition, the  president’s initiative launch, which reportedly is aimed at offering men and boys “much-needed mentorship and direction” is typical PPP hypocrisy and fakery. “He and his government still see no need to fully recognise the depravity and shame of Charrandass Persaud’s vile behaviour (committed since last year August) towards Professor Sonya Ghosh.”

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

Persaud was caught on tape verbally assaulting 63-year-old Ghosh, who is also an environmentalist and animal rights activist, in the vilest of manner and using the crudest of language.

Gosh, who made a report to the New Delhi police, stated in her complaint she was “sexually harassed & her modesty was outraged & insulted by an individual who identifies himself as Charrandass Persaud, Guyana’s High Commissioner to India, residing at 339 Church Road, Vasant Kunj…on August 1, 2021.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs, responded on the same day the video went viral (October 25), claiming the matter was “brought to the attention of the Ministry of External Affairs of India by High Commissioner Persaud, was fully investigated by the relevant authorities and a formal response to the High Commissioner dated September 3, 2022 indicates that ‘allegation of sexual abusive words to complainant has [sic] not been substantiated.’”

However, Shadow Minister of Legal Affairs, Roysdale Forde, SC, countered by demanding the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Hugh Todd, released the report the ministry is referring to that claimed the Indian authorities said Ms. Ghosh’s complaint has not been substantiated.” Going further, Forde said the PPP has a credibility problem and nothing they say must be taken at face value. “Making public the report would be a good starting point to establishing credibility.”

The Opposition reminded the nation there “has been no apology from the PPP government to Professor Ghosh, or to the women and citizens of India,” whilst making known “Charrandass’ return from his post was not a firing, as it ought to have been, but a negotiated compromise between Irfaan Ali and himself.” They condone and cover up [the] lawlessness as they further damage the image of Guyana, the opposition charged.

According to the coalition “most Guyanese would agree with last Friday’s SN Editorial on the Charrandass matter that ‘there is the misogyny which characterises this administration, from which even its ministers are far from immune.’ The editorial added, ‘Of course the government at an official level talks the talk about women’s rights, etc, but the behaviour of those associated with it and what comes out of their mouths unofficially contradicts this.’”

Given expression of public concern about the mistreatment of women by those in the PPP leadership, the Opposition referred to Ali’s 1000-men initiative aimed to “fix” and “reorient” men as “hypocritical!”

No doubt, we must address the issues faced by our young men and all young people today, noted the coalition, but sporadic and piece-meal schemes will not work.

“We need comprehensive and integrated plans based on clear identification of problems, their causes, and solutions (such as our National Youth Policy of 2019).

“We need multi-faceted approaches that provide a wide range of opportunities for our young men and women to pursue their aspirations. And we need to invest the financial resources to get meaningful results. Young men need good examples and surely the likes of [Vice President Bharrat] Jagdeo and Charrandass are bad examples to all humans. They are both protected by a corrupt and lawless regime.

“Above all, we need to restore the moral fabric in our society. Too much immorality has been normalised. We must reverse this. The PPP’s misogyny, corruption, and executive lawlessness only make matters worse.

“Our young men and women deserve far better.”

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

World Bank says focus not only on gov’t spending, but making real improvements to quality of life


EDITOR'S PICK

Guyana Times has blocked my letters

September 22, 2020

Electronic vaccination card  soon

October 21, 2021
Volunteers sew Iranian flags to distribute across the city for free in Tehran, Iran, on Sunday. According to the team's manager, up to 5,000 flags are distributed daily.  Majid Saeedi/Getty Images

Iran pushes back against Trump’s deadline to open the Strait of Hormuz

April 6, 2026
Joe Biden receives Covid-19 vaccine (grabbed from ABC.net video)

Covid: US President-elect Joe Biden gets vaccine live on TV

December 22, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice