Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

2020 Elections Conspiracy Trial Resumes After Two-Month Break

Admin by Admin
February 17, 2026
in News
L-R Keith Lowenfield, Roxane Meyers, Clairmont Mingo

L-R Keith Lowenfield, Roxane Meyers, Clairmont Mingo

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The trial stemming from the controversial March 2020 General and Regional Elections resumed this week at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court after a two-month adjournment, with Acting Chief Magistrate Faith McGusty continuing to oversee the high-profile proceedings.

Nine individuals are before the court on conspiracy-related charges tied to the tabulation of votes in Region Four. Among the accused are former Chief Elections Officer Keith Lowenfield and former minister Volda Lawrence. Prosecutors allege there was a coordinated effort to unlawfully influence the outcome of the elections.

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

As hearings resumed under established case-management guidelines, the court continued receiving evidence from Sasenarine Singh, who served as a People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) agent during the 2020 polls.

Volda Lawrence

Singh recounted events inside the Region Four tabulation centre on March 4, 2020. He testified that former Deputy Chief Elections Officer Roxanne Myers informed those present that Region Four Returning Officer Clairmont Mingo had fallen ill. Singh said he observed Mingo being escorted from the building on a stretcher but could not say whether he was transported by ambulance.

He told the court that party agents, international and local observers, and staff of the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) remained inside the tabulation room, which he said was continuously occupied.

According to Singh, Myers later indicated that Mingo had been hospitalised. The following day, Mingo returned and proposed accelerating the tabulation process by having election staff extract figures from Statements of Poll (SOPs) and compile them into a spreadsheet for presentation. Singh testified that the suggestion was met with loud objections from those present.

He further recalled that GECOM Chair, retired Justice Claudette Singh, urged that consideration be given to exhausted staff and proposed a temporary pause to secure additional personnel. The tabulation was subsequently halted, with discussions about implementing shift work to process approximately 879 remaining SOPs.

The 2020 elections triggered months of political tension and legal challenges, delaying the official declaration of results for five months. The impasse ended on August 2, 2020, when President Irfaan Ali was sworn into office.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
GHK Lall

Dr. Campbell has done much, one piece missing


EDITOR'S PICK

Chinese Premier Li Keqiang

Chinese vice premier stresses improvement of brand building

May 14, 2023

Latin America and the Caribbean surpass 1 million COVID deaths

May 22, 2021

Closed Sex Offender Register Puts Children at Risk  

June 11, 2026
Chief Fire Officer (ag) Gregory Wickham along with Home Affairs Minister, Robeson Benn

Fire Service hosts muster parade in preparation for Christmas season

November 27, 2022

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice