Monday, August 17, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Breaking News

BREAKING: Trump says Venezuela’s Maduro captured after strikes

Admin by Admin
January 3, 2026
in Breaking News, Global
Photo illustration: Lindsey Bailey/Axios. Photos: Andrew Harnik, Juan Barreto, Martin Bernetti via Getty Images

Photo illustration: Lindsey Bailey/Axios. Photos: Andrew Harnik, Juan Barreto, Martin Bernetti via Getty Images

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

(Reuters) “The United States of America has successfully carried out a large scale strike against Venezuela and its leader, President Nicolas Maduro, who has been, along with his wife, captured and flown out of the country,” Trump said in a Truth Social post.
The U.S. had accused Maduro of running a “narco-state” and rigging last year’s election, which the opposition said it won overwhelmingly. The Venezuelan leader, who succeeded Hugo Chavez to take power in 2013, has said Washington wants to take control of Venezuela’s oil reserves, the largest in the world.

VENEZUELA MINISTER URGES RESISTANCE
Trump said the operation was carried out “in conjunction with U.S. Law Enforcement” and promised more details at an 11 a.m. (1600 GMT) press conference at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. Maduro was captured by elite special forces troops, a U.S. official told Reuters.

READ ALSO

Iran rejects ‘delusions’ after Trump says he wants the Strait of Hormuz to be a U.S. territory

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

There was no immediate confirmation by the Venezuelan government of Maduro’s capture or departure, but Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino was defiant.

“Free, independent and sovereign Venezuela rejects with all the strength of its libertarian history the presence of these foreign troops, which have only left behind death, pain and destruction,” Padrino said in a video broadcast on state media about the same time that Trump posted his message.

“Today we clench our fist in defense of what is ours. Let us unite, for in the unity of the people we will find the strength to resist and to triumph.”

While various Latin American governments oppose Maduro and say he stole the 2024 election, direct U.S. action revives painful memories of past interventions and is generally strongly opposed by governments and populations in the region.

The Venezuelan opposition, headed by recent Nobel Peace Prize winner Maria Corina Machado, said in a statement on X that it had no official comment on the events.

In the early hours on Saturday, explosions rocked Venezuela’s capital Caracas and elsewhere, prompting Maduro’s government to declare a national emergency and mobilise troops. It said attacks also took place in the states of Miranda, Aragua and La Guaira.
Blasts, aircraft and black smoke could be seen across Caracas from about 2 a.m. (0600 GMT) for roughly 90 minutes, according to Reuters witnesses and images circulating on social media.

VENEZUELANS SHOCKED – ‘WE DON’T KNOW ANYTHING’
Residents expressed shock and fear as they captured video of billowing smoke and bright orange flashes in the sky. “My love, oh no, look at that,” said one woman in a video, gasping at blasts in the distance.

Carmen Marquez, 50, a resident of the eastern part of the capital, said she went to her roof and could hear planes at different altitudes, though she could not see them.

“Flare-like lights were crossing the sky and then explosions could be heard. We’re worried about what’s coming next. We don’t know anything from the government, only what the state television says,” she said.

A power outage affected the southern area of Caracas, near a major military base, witnesses said. A local media outlet allied with the ruling socialist party said explosions had taken place near the Fuerte Tiuna and La Carlota military bases.

Venezuelan allies Cuba and Iran were quick to condemn the strikes. Tehran called it “a blatant violation of national sovereignty and territorial integrity” and urged the U.N. Security Council to intervene to stop the “unlawful aggression.”

The U.S., Venezuela’s opposition and various other nations say Maduro rigged an election last year to stay in power. He has said there is a Western conspiracy to oust him illegally.

Trump had repeatedly promised land operations in the South American oil producer and said on Monday it would be “smart” for Maduro to leave power.

The Venezuelan government, in a statement before Trump’s announcement, said the goal of the attack was for the United States to take possession of the country’s oil and minerals.

The U.S. has made a major military buildup in the region, including an aircraft carrier, warships and advanced fighter jets stationed in the Caribbean.

Trump has sought a “blockade” of Venezuelan oil, expanded sanctions against the Maduro government and staged more than two dozen strikes on vessels the U.S. alleges were involved in trafficking drugs in the Pacific Ocean and Caribbean Sea.

Last week, Trump said the United States had hit an area in Venezuela where boats are loaded with drugs, marking the first known time Washington has carried out land operations in Venezuela since the pressure campaign began.

Trump has accused Venezuela of flooding the U.S. with drugs, and his administration has for months been bombing boats originating in South America that it alleges were carrying drugs. Many nations have condemned the attacks as extrajudicial killings and Maduro’s government has always denied any involvement with drug trafficking.

It was unclear under what legal authority the latest U.S. strikes were carried out. Legal experts have raised questions about the legality of the hits on suspected drug vessels in the region, which have killed more than 110 people so far.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

President Donald Trump 
Evelyn Hockstein/Reuters
Global

Iran rejects ‘delusions’ after Trump says he wants the Strait of Hormuz to be a U.S. territory

by Admin
August 16, 2026

(NBC News)— A defiant Iran called on the U.S. to “accept the reality of defeat and stop indulging in delusions”...

Read moreDetails
Global

Foreigners Reap Guyana’s Gold While Citizens Struggle

by Admin
August 15, 2026

Dear Editor I am begging you to help Guyanese like myself find answers based on some form of logic, years...

Read moreDetails
US Passport (Google Photo)
Global

U.S. Moves to Strip Kansas Man of Citizenship Over Alleged False Identity

by Admin
August 13, 2026

The United States government has filed a civil action seeking to revoke the naturalized citizenship of an Olathe man born...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Guyana Pensioners (Guyana Standard photo)

Silence Over Pension Books Hurts Seniors


EDITOR'S PICK

Shadow Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs Roysdale Forde S.C

Roysdale Forde filed Appeal challenging CJ’s ruling President didn’t violate Constitution

September 7, 2022
Newly appointed Senior Counsel with Chancellor of the Judiciary (Ag), Justice Yonette Cummings-Edwards, Chief Justice (Ag) Roxane George and other judges.

Five Senior Counsel admitted to Inner Bar

December 30, 2020

Australia race to seven-wicket win to whitewash Pakistan

November 18, 2024
Work on the Sherriff/Mandela Road

Gov’t pushing for Mandela/Sherriff Road construction to meet October 31 deadline – Minister Edghill

October 17, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice