Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Regional

RC Bishop suggests reconciliation following Bouterse’s conviction

Admin by Admin
December 27, 2023
in Regional
Monsignor Karel Choennie

Monsignor Karel Choennie

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

The Bishop of Paramaribo, Monsignor Karel Choennie, says reconciliation is still possible in the Dutch-speaking Caribbean Community (CARICOM) country even after the judicial system carries out the sentences imposed on former president Desi Bouterse and four others by the Court of Justice last week.

Last Wednesday, the Court of Justice dismissed Bouterse’s appeal against a 20-year jail term for his involvement in the murder of 15 men on December 8, 1982.

READ ALSO

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

Bouterse, the then commander of the Surinamese National Army (SNA) and de facto head of government at the time of the murders, was the main suspect.  The other suspects, Ernst Gefferie, Iwan Dijksteel, Stephanus Dendoe and Benny Brondenstein, were each sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The lawyer of the five men, all ex-army officers, formally informed the Public Prosecution Service that they are considering asking for clemency from the President of Suriname.

Observers here note that in 2018 and 2019, the Organization of American States (OAS), the United Nations (UN) and the Vatican were willing to look for a solution to the situation and the Bishop said that it is the church’s responsibility to continue working towards reconciliation and peace in these difficult circumstances.

“In two personal conversations with the then democratically elected President of the Republic of Suriname, Mr DD Bouterse, he told me that he wanted to restore peace and that Suriname would export peace to the world,” Monsignor Choennie said.

“The joint statement that we signed at the time, could only express the wish for peace, but the conditions that applied at the time as president were clear: first of all, acceptance of the verdict, stepping down as president and acceptance of moral responsibility.

“In view of the surviving relatives, also expression of regret and then compensation by the State, and finally, a process of healing, in which perpetrators and victims (survivors) come face to face with each other and can tell each other the full truth and possibly grant personal forgiveness. The problem was how we would then deal with serving the punishment. The enforcement lies in the hands of the executive power,” said Monsignor Choennie.

The Roman Catholic Bishop said that there cannot be complete peace as long as perpetrators continue to deny or sink into a strangling silence of shame or remorse.

“There can be no peace for the bereaved if they continue to live with unanswered questions, anger, hatred and resentment. Without forgiveness the path to reconciliation is closed, and peace remains beyond our reach.

“What we can learn from the past of slavery is that, 160 years later, we still have to come to terms with that past. The perpetrators and relatives of December 8, 1982 could save society a lot of suffering if they would come to reconciliation during their lifetime.

“What they do not do now will become a burden for the next generations, who will then have to solve it, because time does not heal wounds and everything passes, as psychologist Manu Keirse says, except the past.

“Asking and giving forgiveness is not an act of the will, but a grace from God if we open ourselves to Him. It is never too late to open ourselves to God’s grace. This is what the crucified criminal experienced next to Jesus when he confessed his guilt and asked for forgiveness. Jesus promised him per paradise immediately,” said Monsignor Choennie.

He said a process of national forgiveness and reconciliation should also be initiated, as the entire society has become torn in two. A national monument should be set up and an independent human rights institute that should serve as a watchdog to protect human rights in  Suriname.

“Reconciliation is nevertheless still possible after the execution of the sentence. It will now require much more from the convicted to take moral responsibility and express sincere remorse, but it is never too late in God’s eyes.

“It requires that we appeal to our supernatural powers and let our hearts speak and not just our minds. Perpetrators and surviving relatives, together with the people, will have to open themselves up to the grace of God, who is merciful and good.

“All religions in our country want to continue their efforts to achieve reconciliation and peace in society. Now is the time to show the world that we are a people of faith; not only with pious words, but also with loving actions,” Monsignor Choenniethe said. (Loop News)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

St. Elizabeth Technical High School (STETHS) in Santa Cruz, St. Elizabeth, suffered extensive structural damage following the passage of the powerful Category 5 Hurricane Melissa.
Regional

Jamaica considers rotating school days as Hurricane Melissa repairs remain unfinished

by Admin
August 19, 2026

The Ministry of Education, Skills, Youth and Information is preparing contingency plans, including rotating students on alternate days, for schools...

Read moreDetails
Regional

Rowley asks Trinidad government to disclose number of nationals with US visas revoked

by Admin
August 18, 2026

Former Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley is calling on the Trinidad and Tobago government to disclose how many nationals have...

Read moreDetails
From left: Newly appointed Bank of Jamaica Governor, Dr Brian Langrin and outgoing BOJ Governor Richard Byles.
Regional

JAMAICA | BOJ Governor Byles Bows Out. Langrin Takes Over on Wednesday.

by Admin
August 18, 2026

After seven years that carried Jamaica from a pandemic to an 11.8 per cent price spike and back inside the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Zhao Leji, chairman of the National People's Congress Standing Committee, attends the second plenary meeting of the seventh session of the 14th NPC Standing Committee at the Great Hall of the People in Beijing, capital of China, December 26, 2023. /Xinhua

Chinese lawmakers meet to deliberate reports on seed industry, workplace safety


EDITOR'S PICK

This screen grab taken from video footage from the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) via AFPTV on July 14, 2023 shows an ISRO rocket carrying the Chandrayaan-3 spacecraft lifting off from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, an island off the coast of southern Andhra Pradesh state. India on July 14 launched a rocket seeking to land an unmanned spacecraft on the surface of the Moon. Photo: VCG

China, India has vast room for cooperation in lunar exploration under BRICS, SCO mechanisms

August 25, 2023

Australia’s Social Media Ban For Kids Under 16 Goes Into Effect

December 10, 2025

Procurement Commission adopted defective report and rubber stamped award

January 8, 2024

Subsidising Failure, Protecting Politics

May 24, 2026

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice