Thursday, August 20, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Monkeypox: WHO says no longer global health emergency

Admin by Admin
May 13, 2023
in Global
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Monkeypox (mpox), an infectious disease caused by the monkeypox virus, is no longer an international emergency following an outbreak last year, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced.

During a media briefing on Thursday, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus in Geneva, Switzerland, said there have been 90% fewer cases in the last three months.

READ ALSO

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

Cases first began to rise in the summer of 2022. Worldwide, there have been more than 87,000 confirmed cases and 140 deaths in 111 countries, per the WHO.

In the U.S., weekly cases peaked in August 2022 at 646, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Since then, cases have steadily declined, with just one new weekly case reported in the country as of May 10.

“We now see steady progress in controlling the outbreak based on the lessons of HIV and working closely with the most affected communities,” Ghebreyesus said.

There was initially a fear that the affected communities would experience backlash, but Ghebreyesus noted that “has largely not materialised.”

The WHO officially declared monkeypox to be a public health emergency in July 2022.

“Although I am declaring a public health emergency of international concern, for the moment this is an outbreak that is concentrated among men who have sex with men, especially those with multiple sexual partners,” the director-general said at the time.

The agency previously reported that the outbreak stemmed from sexual activity at two raves in Europe.

The WHO officially renamed the infection “mpox” in November 2022 based on concerns about racism.

The primary symptom is a rash that can appear on the hands, feet, chest, face, mouth and/or genitals, per the CDC. The rash goes through several stages before scabbing over and healing.

Other common symptoms include fever, chills, fatigue, muscle aches, headache, swollen lymph nodes, cough, sore throat and nasal congestion.

Symptoms usually begin within three weeks of exposure, although some people may be asymptomatic.

Monkeypox is spread through physical contact with an infected person and can occasionally spread from animals to people. A person is contagious from the time symptoms begin until after the rash has fully healed. (Fox News)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
[Photo/Xinhua]
Global

Robotics boom fueling nation’s tech ambitions

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 3,000 cutting-edge robots and related products packed the 2026 World Robot Conference, which opened in Beijing on Wednesday,...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

Animal Farm is alive and kicking in Guyana


EDITOR'S PICK

AFC Interim Leader and Chairman David Patterson

‘PAC in limbo’

February 1, 2021
President of the US Donald Trump holds up a copy of the memorandum he signed to withdraw the US from the Iran nuclear deal.

Despite U.S. sanctions bid, Iran aims to keep nuclear deal alive until U.S. election 

August 19, 2020

Hunt for survivors after deadly India floods  

July 25, 2021
Attorney-at-Law, Darren Wade

Attorney Darren Wade Expresses Concerns over Government Handling of Venezuelan migrant Crisis

October 29, 2023

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice