Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Nandlall threatens ‘drastic changes’ coming to NIS, ignores Scheme financial troubles

Admin by Admin
April 16, 2023
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs, Anil Nandlall, SC, said there will be drastic changes to the National Insurance Scheme (NIS), Guyana’s main social safety net. According to a recent Department of Public Information’s story the government claimed such change will allow contributors to receive their benefits through a simplified process.

The NIS is governed by Chapter 36:01. There have however been many reports the Scheme is being burdened under the weight of political pressure,  by the People’s Progressive Party (PPP) officials, to bypass eligibility requirements for benefits and verification of contributions to qualify for benefits.

READ ALSO

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

NIS at the end of 2021 had a deficit of $1.7 billion which threatens the Scheme’s longevity as government continues to ignore public calls to offset this deficit with oil and gas revenue.

In 2019, the Scheme spent more than it earned, ending the year with a deficit of $1.503 billion. The amount was absorbed by the National Insurance Fund, which stood at $31.731 billion.

Nandlall, speaking on his weekly televised programme ‘Issues in the News,’ whilst ignoring concerns about the scheme’s viability and overt political influence, stated “more changes are going to be made to ensure that persons who qualify for NIS, receive the benefits to which they are entitled under the NIS Act.” According to him, “whatever hurdles, administrative and otherwise, that are preventing that objective from being realised, we are uprooting them as we go along and making the process more accessible to a wider cross-section of Guyanese entitled under the scheme.”

The government has boasted of making changes over the past years to intensify efforts to clear the backlog of matters that were pending and improve the services to contributors but continues to ignore actuarial reports, full compliance with the law, and returning the scheme to financial viability.

In April 2022, PPP Leader, Mr. Bharrat Jagdeo said contributors’ contributions are secured for the next “100 years” but never advised how this could be possible. Benefit payments continue to outstrip contributions but the government has not addressed the sustainability of the Scheme to ensure payment of benefits.

Invalidity and Old Age pensions were last increased in 2020 during the A Partnership of National Unity and Alliance For Change (APNU+AFC) coalition government. Jagdeo, last year, ruled out any increase in pensions and benefits in the near future.

From the Scheme’s inception the PPP had a strange relationship with the organisation. Whilst the largest block of beneficiaries are sugar workers, the Party in Opposition had urged Guyanese, particularly its supporters, not to support the Scheme. During the Jagdeo presidency $5 billion was taken from the Fund and invested in CLICO which collapsed, and $2.5 billion in the Berbice Bridge.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

L-R Then Region 10 Regional Chairman Sharma Solomon and then Prime  Minister Sam Hinds signing the Agreement- August 21, 2012
News

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Fourteen years after the people of Linden staged a 33-day protest that forced the Government to reverse a controversial electricity...

Read moreDetails
Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

PNCR women's arm demands end to abuse of women in Guyana


EDITOR'S PICK

Canadian High Commissioner 
Sébastien Sigouin

Canada Urges Guyana to Uphold Democratic Norms Amid Parliamentary Concerns

January 18, 2026
Production of semiconductor chip File photo: VCG

Top meeting urges expedited establishment of new pattern of development

February 2, 2023

Recipe | Homemade Vegetarian Chili

October 31, 2021

Use of private residences , places of worship as polling places must be opposed

August 22, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice