Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

 Barbados moves ahead to close ailing sugar industry as Guyana pumps billions into ailing GuySuCo 

Staff Writer by Staff Writer
June 29, 2022
in News
Prime Minister Mia Mottley and other officials

Prime Minister Mia Mottley and other officials

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

The Government of Barbados announced it is moving “full steam ahead” to close the sugar industry with next year’s sugar harvest being the beginning of the process and final closure expected somewhere between 2023-2027.  The Minister of Agriculture, Indar Weir, said the Government can no longer continue to put money in the industry if Barbados is to reach food and nutritional security.

As Barbados put systems in place to deal with sugar, which no longer receives preferential treatment in the international marketplace and cost for production continues to exponentially exceed sales, there has been no similar plan in Guyana. Sugar in Guyana is steeped in partisan politics. Partisan politics in Guyana has racial overtones.

The People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C), which closed the La Bonne Intent (LBI) and Diamond Estates, and sold the Diamond cane fields for housing projects, condemned the A Partnership for National Unity and Alliance For Change (APNU+AFC) coalition government when they moved to “right size” the ailing Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo), and closed Rose Hall, Skeldon, Wales and Enmore Estates.

The then Opposition PPP/C said they “believe” the decision of the APNU+AFC government “is part of a scheme to impose hardships on persons who are perceived to be supporters of the PPP.” Wales, which was the poorest performing of all the estates, was at the time racking up a loss of $1.9 billion, and as part of the closure plan workers were to be transferred to the Uitvlugt Estate.

The PPP/C campaigned on the promise to reopen the estates the Coalition closed, not the ones they closed. Almost two years in government and spending more than $20 billion from the Consolidated Fund, GuySuCo still ails and estates remain unopened. Under the new Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Sasenarine Singh, the corporation has not only lowered its production target which it has not been able to meet but also is unable to re-open the estate.

Earlier this year a Memorandum of Understanding was signed between a subsidiary of Suriname-owned Rudisa Inc, Caribbean International Distributors Inc (CIDI) with Guyana’s Office for Investment (G-Invest) for the development of a US$35 million agro-processing facility at Enmore.

The Enmore Packaging Plant was leased for an oilfield joint venture. The Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU), the union that represents some of the workers in GuySuCo, was caught off guard. Responding to the news the Union said “We have seen, from media reports, that GuySuCo plans to operate the plant through some alternative arrangements. We, at this time, are seeking to learn of these arrangements and what the next steps will envisage.”

At the Enmore Martyrs observance event, on June 16, GAWU President, Seepaul Narine, called on President Irfaan Ali to fire GuySuCo’s CEO. A few days earlier President Ali met with supervisor/managerial staff of the corporation telling them it cannot be “business as usual anymore” and there must be sweeping changes. Noticeably absent from the head table and meeting was Sasenarine Singh. In the meantime, former sugar workers are anxiously awaiting the PPP/C’s promise to re-open the estates.

 
ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Retired Assistant Commissioner of Police Paul Slowe

Paul Slowe explains 'Open and Close Arrest'


EDITOR'S PICK

CARICOM | Dr. Terrence Drew

CARICOM | Dr. Terrence Drew proposes “The Atlantic Bridge” of Partnership between Africa and the Caribbean

September 8, 2025

World Bank supports investment in youth skills and innovation in OECS countries

January 14, 2024
Port Royal’s glory days as a haven for pirates came to an end when a massive earthquake and tsunami struck in 1692. In just a few minutes, two-thirds of the town (33 acres) sank into the sea.

JAMAICA | From Sunken City to World Heritage: Port Royal’s Rise from the Caribbean Deep

August 28, 2025
Shadow Attorney General and Minister of Legal Affairs Roysdale Forde S.C

Opposition to take Lobbying Bill to Parliament in effort to stamp out Corruption

June 27, 2022

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice