Support Village Voice News With a Donation of Your Choice.
You will only need a few easy-to-find ingredients to make this piña colada recipe:
- Pineapple. Fresh pineapple that has been frozen ahead of time is best to use. Read below to learn more information about this.
- Coconut. Both milk and cream are used in this recipe. If you can’t find cream, chill an unshaken can of coconut milk for a few hours. The liquid and cream will separate and you can and scrape the cream off the top.
- Rum. Many different types of rums will work, but there are a few that will taste better than others. See what type of rum is best below.
- Sugar. This is totally optional but can be used to increase the sweetness of the drink. You can also substitute with a non-nutritive sweetener such as Stevia or add a touch of honey instead.
- Ice. The key to making this frozen cocktail recipe extra creamy and slushy!
How to make a Piña Colada
These are the simple steps to take when making a homemade piña colada:
- Add frozen pineapple chunks, coconut milk, coconut cream, rum, and sugar to a blender. A Vitamix or other high speed blender is best, but a large food processor will also work.
- Blend for about 1-2 minutes.- Look for when the pineapple is completely smooth and there are no chunks remaining.
- Add the ice- Pulse until well incorporated
- Serve immediately.
Garnish with a pineapple wedge, straw, and a maraschino cherry or freeze until ready to serve.