Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Several dorm students test positive for COVID-19 as schools reopen – Dr. Anthony

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
January 5, 2021
in News
Minister of Health, Hon. Dr Frank Anthony

Minister of Health, Hon. Dr Frank Anthony

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Minister of Health, Hon. Dr Frank Anthony

Several dorm students test positive for COVID-19 as schools reopen – Dr. Anthony
Several public school students who reside in dormitories have tested positive for the Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) ahead of the reopening of schools Monday.

This was revealed by Minister of Health Dr. Frank Anthony who disclosed that the Ministry of Health started COVID-19 tests on the dormitory students over the weekend as schools reopened for face-to-face engagement for students in Grades 10, 11 and 12.

READ ALSO

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

“All the students coming back to the dorms would be tested…So far, over the last couple of days of testing we found a number of students who were positive and those have been placed isolation,” he said noting that the students are asymptomatic.

The students have since been placed in isolation for the required period of time and according to the Health Minister, should the students develop severe symptoms, they will be treated and monitored.

“The students are placed in a separate room and will be given food and education materials so that they can continue their learning and once they stop getting any signs and symptoms, then we follow the protocol to release them from isolation,” Dr. Anthony told the Department of Public Information (DPI).

The Minister said he expects “quite a few” positive cases as students from across the country return to schools. Testing is ongoing.

“We have dorms schools in Essequibo, we have one in Region One, Region Eight and Region Nine. Then there’s President’s College. So, they are coming from different parts of the country coming into these schools and therefore, we have to be vigilant. So that’s why as yet, we don’t have a comprehensive number because not all of the students have come back in as yet,” he said.
Minister Anthony gave assurances that close monitoring of schools will continue to ensure that everyone is kept safe.

Prior to schools being reopened, meetings were held with Regional Health Officers and Regional Education Officers to plan for their respective regions. Mechanisms have also been put in place for PCR tests to be returned to the laboratory quickly for analysis. (Modified from DPI)

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

The Bartica Solar Farm in Daag Point, Region Seven
News

More communities to benefit from phased electricity cost reductions – Pres Ali

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More communities are expected to benefit from reductions in electricity costs in the coming months, as the government moves ahead...

Read moreDetails
Residents of Melanie and surrounding communities gathered at the engagement
News

Over 250 Melanie families to secure land titles through regularisation exercise

by Admin
August 20, 2026

More than 250 families in Melanie and surrounding communities are expected to secure formal titles to the land they currently...

Read moreDetails
News

WIN–APNU Rift Deepens as Hinds Blasts Mohamed’s Local Gov’t Decision

by Admin
August 20, 2026

A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) Member of Parliament and Working People’s Alliance (WPA) co-leader Dr. David Hinds has sharply...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Ministry of Education's Permanent Secretary, Alfred King, presents tablets to the Peters' family

Children with Special Education Needs receive tablets from Education Ministry


EDITOR'S PICK

Google photo

Government Pumps US$1.5B into Banks—But Is the Guyana Dollar Truly Safe?

November 23, 2025
President Irfaan Ali

Eid-ul-Fitr 2024 from President Irfaan Ali

April 10, 2024

COVID-19 has infected some 570,000 health workers and killed 2,500 in the Americas, PAHO Director says

September 6, 2020

GUYANA COVID-19 CASES SURPASS 9,000

March 12, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice