Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home Global

Russia stops UN blacklisting of notorious Libyan militia

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
November 21, 2020
in Global
Officials exhume bodies in what Libya's internationally recognised government officials say is a mass grave in Tarhuna city, Libya [File: Ayman al-Sahili/ Reuters]

Officials exhume bodies in what Libya's internationally recognised government officials say is a mass grave in Tarhuna city, Libya [File: Ayman al-Sahili/ Reuters]

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Move comes after US, Germany propose asset freeze and travel ban on al-Kaniyat armed group and its leader Mohammed al-Kani.

Officials exhume bodies in what Libya’s internationally recognised government officials say is a mass grave in Tarhuna city, Libya [File: Ayman al-Sahili/ Reuters]
Aljazeera – Russia stopped a UN Security Council committee from blacklisting a Libyan armed group and its leader for human rights abuses because it said it wanted to see more evidence first that it killed civilians.

READ ALSO

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

The United States and Germany proposed the council’s 15-member Libya sanctions committee impose an asset freeze and travel ban on the al-Kaniyat militia and its leader Mohammed al-Kani.

Such a move has to be agreed by consensus, but Russia said it could not approve.

“Our support in the future is possible, but conditioned by provision of an irrefutable evidence of their involvement in killing of civilian populations,” a Russian diplomat told his Security Council colleagues in a note seen by Reuters news agency on Friday.

The Libyan city of Tarhuna, which was recaptured in June by the internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA), had for years been controlled by al-Kaniyat run by the local Kani family, which fought alongside renegade commander Khalifa Haftar’s eastern-based Libyan National Army (LNA).

Last month, Libyan authorities dug out 12 bodies from four more unmarked graves in Tarhuna, adding to the many corpses already discovered since June.

Torture and killings

Libya descended into chaos after the NATO-backed overthrow of leader Muammar Gaddafi in 2011. Last month, the two major sides in the country’s war – the GNA and the LNA – agreed on a ceasefire.

Turkey backs the GNA. Russia, the United Arab Emirates and Egypt support the LNA. Those foreign powers have been cited in earlier UN documents as supplying weapons in defiance of the arms embargo.

The United States and Germany wrote in their sanctions proposal that international human rights groups and the UN political mission in Libya, known as UNSMIL, has “received reports of hundreds of human rights abuses perpetrated by the al-Kaniyat militia against private individuals, state officials, captured fighters, and civil society activists in Tarhouna”.

“Under Mohammed al-Kani’s leadership, the al-Kaniyat militia has reportedly carried out enforced disappearances, torture, and killings. In addition, UNSMIL verified numerous summary executions at Tarhouna Prison conducted by the al-Kaniyat militia on September 13, 2019,” the proposal said.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Visitors interact with a robot from Unitree Robotics during the sixth China International Consumer Products Expo (CICPE) in Haikou, South China's Hainan province, April 14, 2026. [Photo/Xinhua]
Global

AI needs a symbiotic reset with humanity

by Admin
August 21, 2026

China Daily As companies pour billions of dollars into artificial intelligence while cutting jobs, fears of human replacement are mounting....

Read moreDetails
Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi (Photo: Reuters)
Global

China makes a $2 billion push into Africa’s third-most industrialized nation as Beijing moves ahead of the US

by Admin
August 20, 2026

This proposed initiative would establish a massive, integrated industrial complex in the Egypt's Suez Canal Economic Zone (SCZONE), marking a...

Read moreDetails
Ebola Treatment Centre at the Centre Médical Évangélique in Bunia, the first Ebola treatment centre to be built in Bunia. Constructed by WHO and run by ALIMA.
Global

WHO and Africa CDC Welcome Allocation of Ebola vaccines to Democratic Republic of the Congo

by Admin
August 20, 2026

Last week, the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) requested a release of Ervebo vaccines from the...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Iran's nuclear water reactor of Arak, south of the capital Tehran [File: Atomic Energy Organization of Iran via AFP]

Iran slams European criticism on expanding nuclear programme


EDITOR'S PICK

L-R, APNU+AFC MP David Patterson , Deputy Speaker, Lenox Shuman and Minister of Natural Resources Vickram Bharrat

Govt uses one-seat majority to pass Local Content Bill

December 29, 2021

What Are the Benefits of Eucalyptus Tea?

December 18, 2024
FILE - In this Nov. 30, 2020 file photo, Thabisle khlatshwayo, who received her first shot for a COVID-19 vaccine trial, receives her second AstraZeneca shot at a vaccine trial facility set at Soweto's Chris Sani Baragwanath Hospital outside Johannesburg, South Africa. South Africa suspended on Sunday Feb. 7, 2021 plans to inoculate its front-line health care workers with the AstraZeneca vaccine after a small clinical trial suggested that it isn't effective in preventing mild to moderate illness from the variant dominant in the country. (AP Photo/Jerome Delay, File)

South Africa scraps AstraZeneca vaccine, will give J&J jabs

February 10, 2021

The Teachers Strike

September 10, 2021

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice