Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Govt packs tender board with PPP sympathisers

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
September 29, 2020
in News
Minister of Public Works, Juan Edghill and the members of the NPTAB

Minister of Public Works, Juan Edghill and the members of the NPTAB

0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
Minister of Public Works, Juan Edghill and the members of the NPTAB

– Removes entity from under control of finance ministry

Government on Tuesday announced the names of the members of the reconstituted National Procurement and Tender Board Administration an assemblage of PPP/C sympathisers- some of whom were candidates of the party at the recent General and Regional elections.

Also the board which previously was under the supervision of the Ministry of Finance has been shifted to Ministry of Public Works.

READ ALSO

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

Minister of Works, Juan Edghill has charged the Board to ensure contracts are awarded in a timely manner.
So far, Mr. Tarachand Balgobin has been appointed temporary Chairman of the Board, while Mr. Bernard Lord, Mr. Desmond Mohamed, Mr. Omar Narine, Mr. Steve Ninvalle, Mr. Mark Conway and Ms. Gloria Beharry will serve as Board Members.

Minister Edghill congratulated the team, who he was keen to note, has hundreds of years of experience when put together. Nonetheless, the minister laid out his expectations for the new board. He explained, “Your job, primarily in the first instance, would be to uphold the high principles of ensuring transparency, accountability, competitive bidding, good governance, value for money and ensuring that you create an architecture that is free from corruption.”

In addition, Minister Edghill told the team that he anticipates the timely awarding of contracts to boost the implementation of projects’ percentage. On that note, the Minister of Public Works tasked the new board to review the evaluators attached to NPTAB, with the view of ensuring that the work is done promptly. He explained that time delays may be occurring at the evaluating level and must not be allowed to continue. Furthermore, Minister Edghill pointed out that these evaluators must be reminded that they work for the Government of Guyana and not for contractors, hence a full review of staff will be conducted to stamp out “skullduggery”.

Meanwhile, the newly installed is positioning itself to facilitate electronic submissions of bids as Guyana prepares to undertake major transformative projects.
Chairman, Balgobin said this option should encourage wider participation in the process.

“Public procurement is not to eliminate people. It is to encourage people to participate in the procurement process, to create competition and therefore create opportunities for value for money,” he said at the Board commissioning ceremony today
Mr. Balgobin said once the proposal is greenlighted it would allow bids to be submitted utilising PDF format or by flash drive.

“I have already spoken with our IT department to create a platform within our architecture where these documents cannot be compromised,” Mr. Balgobin said.
On receipt of the electronic submissions, NPTAB will cross-reference those with the official hardcopy submissions. Additionally, the evaluators will be provided with the electronic submissions, which they will only be able to access pending the completion of their work.

“There is no need to send another document to them, which is what we are doing now… The evaluation that they do will be resubmitted to us in an electronic form,” the Chairman explained.

Mr. Balgobin also committed to ensuring that the Board meets its mandate.

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
2026 CSEC students (Ministry of Education photo)
News

CSEC Success Must Open Doors for Guyana’s Youth- PNCR/APNU

by Admin
August 21, 2026

The People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR), a major component of A Partnership for National Unity (APNU), has congratulated Guyanese students...

Read moreDetails
Next Post
Dr. Karen Cummings

'70:30 formula still in play' 


EDITOR'S PICK

© MONUSCO/Ado Abdou Brazilian peacekeepers train the soldiers serving with the Democratic Republic of the Congo (file).

As funding cuts bite, UN chief announces new dawn for peacekeeping

May 15, 2025
Guyana President Irfaan Ali

Access, Anti-Corruption and Irony: GHK Lall Weighs in on Ali’s Big Speech

September 8, 2025
(from left) Joseph 'Reds' Perreira, Johnny Grave and Dinanath Ramnarine

Big shoes to fill: Joseph ‘Reds’ Perreira, Dinanath Ramnarine hail outgoing CWI CEO Johnny Grave

August 13, 2024

Injustice against citizens must stop

December 21, 2020

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice