Friday, August 21, 2026
Village Voice News
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us
No Result
View All Result
Village Voice News
No Result
View All Result
Home News

West Berbice residents block road, set fire to debris in protest over Mingo’s arrest 

Staff Reporter by Staff Reporter
August 30, 2020
in News
0
SHARES
0
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Residents on the West Coast Berbice early Sunday morning blocked the public road and set fire to debris in protest over the continued detention of Clairmont Mingo.

READ ALSO

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

Mingo, the Returning Officer for Region 4 has been in police custody since last week Tuesday. Police have reportedly slapped four charges on him and he is to appear in court tomorrow to answer to them.

Since last week residents of Belladrum and adjoining communities had been agitating over the detention of Mingo. Close to a hundred residents of Belladrum Paradise and other villages in West Coast Berbice gathered on the bridge between Paradise and Belladrum last Thursday  morning in a show of solidarity wiith Mingo.

https://villagevoicegy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/VID-20200830-WA00061.mp4

Those gathered bore placards stating  as follows: “Black Lives matter” “Clairmont Mingo Belladrum stands with you. “Free Mingo” “Guyana is not a Police State”  “The Crime Chief is a stooge of the PPP” “Mingo is a human being he must be treated lawfully.”
Mingo is a resident of Paradise Village on the West Coast of Berbice. An organiser explained that “residents saw and heard on Benschop 107.1 FM  radio how the Mingo family complained about  being prevented from  seeing him and about not being allowed to give him a change  of clothing and so they came out to assemble and show their solidarity. People passing stopped and joined us,” the organiser said.

Inciting
On Saturday night the coalition alleged that the Guyana Police Force on Saturday had transformed the peaceful West Coast Berbice village of Belladrum into a virtual “war zone.”

“Presumptive Leader of the APNU+AFC Opposition Joseph Harmon issued an urgent and immediate call on the Guyana Police Force to immediately cease and desist from inciting and intimidating the peaceful residents of Belladrum,” the coalition said in a release Saturday evening.

Specifically, Harmon called on Commander Cooper, Deputy Commander Mandal and Sergeant Mc Donald and all other officers and ranks who have occupied the village to stand down with immediate effect. Reports from the village are that heavily-armed police in full riot gear have taken up positions at virtually every corner of the village and residents are frightened and fearful by their alarming and sudden presence. “It would appear as though Guyana has descended into a police state, no murder or major crime has been committed in Belladrum, why are the police targeting this village?” Mr Harmon said. “Our supporters and the residents of Belladrum are frightened tonight as a result of this massive police presence in the village without any explanation or warning whatsoever,” Harmon added.

“There is absolutely no need whatsoever for this excessive action by the police, it is clearly designed to incite and intimidate and we will not tolerate it,” Harmon declared. Residents of Belladrum on Friday  staged a peaceful, socially distanced protest calling public attention to the mistreatment of GECOM Returning Officer Clairmont Mingo who has been in police custody for several days and who the High Court ordered released today. The Guyana Police Force has disregarded the order of the court and has kept Mr. Mingo in custody beyond the legally permitted 72 hours. The APNU+AFC also demands the immediate release of Mr. Mingo from police custody. “The civil liberties and the constitutional rights of citizens are being trampled and abused by the Guyana Police Force which has clearly reverted to being a political tool of persecution for the fraudulent and illegitimate PPP regime, the likes of which was the case prior to 2015,” Harmon observed.

The police have since denied inciting and intimidating residents. Cooper is quoted in another section of the media saying his ranks were building relationships with the people.

 

ShareTweetSendShareSend

Related Posts

L-R Then Region 10 Regional Chairman Sharma Solomon and then Prime  Minister Sam Hinds signing the Agreement- August 21, 2012
News

Linden Paid the Price—14 Years Later, Where Are the Promised Benefits?

by Admin
August 21, 2026

Fourteen years after the people of Linden staged a 33-day protest that forced the Government to reverse a controversial electricity...

Read moreDetails
Sharma Solomon MP (APNU)
News

Demerara Revolt: Solomon Blasts Government for Ignoring Historic Fight for Freedom

by Admin
August 21, 2026

More than two centuries after thousands of enslaved Africans rose against the brutal plantation system in Demerara, the legacy of...

Read moreDetails
News

GRSI Makes Aviation History, Opens New Lifeline to Guyana’s Hinterland

by Admin
August 21, 2026

A new chapter has opened in Guyana’s aviation history with Guyana Rotorcraft Services Inc. (GRSI) becoming the first domestic aviation...

Read moreDetails
Next Post

The Civil Rights Struggle of our Time


EDITOR'S PICK

Canada ups call for elections declaration …GMSA says citizens patience running thin

July 15, 2020

I welcome the protest at Dartmouth

January 23, 2022
The West Indies team will continue to take a knee and wear the Black Lives Matter logos on their shirts during the upcoming two-match Test Series in Australia, Cricket West Indies announced. (Photo: Cricket West Indies)

West Indies to take a knee before Tests in Australia

November 28, 2022
A staff member demonstrates the plastic recycling process at the Boao zero-carbon demonstration zone during the Boao Forum for Asia (BFA) Annual Conference 2025 in Boao, south China's Hainan Province, March 25, 2025. (Xinhua/Xie Ziyi)

Trash, treasure and thrifting: China’s youth turns eco-anxiety into trendy action

May 5, 2025

© 2024 Village Voice

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Sports
  • Editorial
  • Letters
  • Global
  • Columns
    • Eye On Guyana
    • Hindsight
    • Lincoln Lewis Speaks
    • Future Notes
    • Blackout
    • From The Desk of Roysdale Forde SC
    • Diplomatic Speak
    • Mark’s Take
    • In the village
    • Mind Your Business
    • Bad & Bold
    • The Voice of Labour
    • The Herbal Section
    • Politics 101 with Dr. David Hinds
    • Talking Dollars & Making Sense
    • Book Review 
  • Education & Technology
  • E-Paper
  • Contact Us

© 2024 Village Voice